Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ASV settings and tips
RE: ASV settings and tips
Thanks Jay. I feel like I have made significant progress since originally starting CPAP in October of last year. ASV was definitely a big improvement to my therapy and I feel like I'm almost there with getting all of the kinks worked out.

I wish I could be one of the people out there that just throw on their regular old CPAP and sleep great every night.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I wanted to post an update.

I've been doing pretty well with the ASV so far and have no issues at all wearing it through the night. I decided to just stick with nasal pillows and mouth taping because I hate the feeling of a FFM while trying to sleep. I feel decent overall, but I still experience some residual sleepiness during the day on occasion. 

I feel like my sleep hygiene is pretty good and I usually get around 8 hours of sleep every night. I'm also dreaming almost every night now, which is something that I haven't done since I was younger.

The biggest complaint I have is that when inhaling and the PS is at min, it feels like there isn't enough push from the machine. I'm hesitant to push my PS min up much because I know that higher PS can induce CA. 

I posted a few charts, but they look pretty good to me. Anyone have any thoughts on my rambling?

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2024, 01:08 PM)jcp519 Wrote: So I wanted to post an update.

The biggest complaint I have is that when inhaling and the PS is at min, it feels like there isn't enough push from the machine. I'm hesitant to push my PS min up much because I know that higher PS can induce CA. 

It's good to hear your ASV is working well for you. Increasing PSmin should not impact central apneas, since ASV should completely eliminate CAs if it is set properly.

ASV use is shown to give you the most REM sleep compared to all other sleep apnea machines. I have certainly found this to be true, at least compared to apaps.
Post Reply Post Reply
PS min gets you the comfort for every breath, but If I was looking to resolve "getting enough push from the machine" that is PS max. You are frequently at your maximum PS, and that is there to stabilize minute vent. I would not hesitate to increase PS max if you tolerate the pressure and get that push you're looking for.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When the machine is at PS max I'm actually just fine, but it rarely bumps up that high before I'm asleep now. I found that a PS max above 9 gives me pretty bad aerophagia.

Its more an issue when I first put the mask on and the PS is too low. Does it look like I need more PS max though?
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, PS min and PS max will rise together, so it makes sense to me you may do better at PS 4.0 min and PS 9.0 max.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I've tried the new PS settings of 4-9 for a few nights and I've got some questions about it. 

It seems like compared to a PS range of 3-8, my respiratory rate drops more often and I am at max PS more often. I get even more and longer areas of my respiratory rate dropping low and my tidal volume going up where I'm doing long deep breaths. Seems like in response to the low breath rate, my body compensates by increasing my tidal volume. I'm not sure if this is affecting my sleep because on CPAP my respiratory rate remained around 14. It seems to me that a higher PS min makes this more likely to start happening. 

My sleep quality feels about the same, can't tell much of a difference in how I feel.

Post Reply Post Reply
bump it if you feel like the setpoint is low.  see how you do.  I get the same feeling and have to check if I turned on the machinre.  like you say, if I bump it very high I get a lot of stomach air.

note - anytime I make any change I give it three days before any other change.  seems like it takes me that long to adjust.  If the change makes me off the charts bad I revert right away.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would not be concerned that your respiratory rate goes down and your tidal volume goes up with higher pressure support settings. As long as your minute ventilation stays about the same, it means that you are not needing to breathe as fast, which is good if you are also breathing deeper. 

BTW, I lowered my EPAP to 6-12 and left pressure support at 3.8-15, and for three days since, my AHI has improved to significantly less than 1, and I have much less aerophagia. I should note I'm using a different dental guard as well, which might be helping.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I set the EPAP back up to 15 vs 12, so much for aerophasia. If I have to fart as loud as my neighbors dogs bark at night, I guess I'm OK.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 17 528 05-06-2024, 01:53 PM
Last Post: jake79
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,510 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
Question [CPAP] New to CPAP/APAP looking for Adjustment tips jster71 2 391 02-16-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 7,115 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  VAUTO Settings vs. CPAP Settings MrIvanDrago 9 966 11-18-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Camping with CPAP - any tips? SuperSleeper 43 8,133 10-16-2023, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Hintertux
  Tips for adjusting chin strap? TiredTom111 8 1,544 09-10-2023, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Bluesv6

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.