Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Significant noise from mask since change of CPAP machine!
Significant noise from mask since change of CPAP machine!
Dear Forum,

I have switched my CPAP machine from Resmed to BMC.
Most of the gear (headsets and tubes) are compatible and fit fine; they are also reasonably new.
I am using the AirFit P10 Nasal Pillow mask by default.

The only trouble I am having is that the inhaling sound is incredibly loud. It's not a 'whining' or 'whistling' noise, it's more like the normal sound you normally hear (vaguely!) in your head when you inhale -  but times 20!
When googling this phenomenon, all comments point to the mask being too lose, too tight, not fitting, connection issues, etc. However, I am certain that this can be excluded as I have tried almost every mask/tube/nasal pillow size combination but none of it has resolved the very loud inhaling sound.

To give you an idea of the noise level, I am usually drifting off with an audio book via my iPhone next to my pillow. In order to hear the content, I now need to increase the volume to almost full power to be able to hear it when wearing a mask.

What else can the inhaling sound level be attributed to?
My auto pressure is in the region of 5-7 on average.

Any pointers would be appreciated as I am planning to contact BMC this week.

Thanks in advance!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Significant noise from mask since change of CPAP machine!
Have you tried the resmed without making any changes to the mask? Is the noise the same?
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi StaceyBurke,

Thanks for your response.
That's the weird thing... I am in a unique position that I have the old Resmed machine here with me at the same time as I will return the rental unit next week.

There is literally no noise when I hook up the mask(s) on the Resmed.

That's why I am so intrigued.

I am not that knowledgable, but maybe my base/standard setting of 6-15 on the new unit is too high and the flow is too strong???
Really puzzled by this especially as I have 4 different masks and none resolves the issue.

Cheers.
Post Reply Post Reply
What I find puzzling is the expectation a BMC device will produce an experience equal to Resmed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
…hmmm interesting response from a forum moderator. I am fairly new here and joined after coming across the forum subtitle “patients helping one another”. 
Didn’t know this space is lobbying Resmed!
By the way, I got in touch with BMC in China directly (on Boxing Day!) and they were able to advise how to change my auto setting from ‘standard’ to ‘sensitive’ which has resolved the issue. 
More customer service from BMC in 12 hours than I ever got from Resmed in 2 years. 
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
If it helps any, I can understand why Sleeprider would mention ResMed over BMC. ResMed is in fact better. Nobody on Apnea Board gets a penny from saying ResMed is better, or this or that mask is better. Nor do any Apnea Board members lobby for any specific brand, we happen to use things such as ResMed machines, the various masks, soft cervical collars, hose hangers, oxygen sensors, SD cards, OSCAR reporting tool, and so on, and frequently members do make mention of this X is better than that Y.

This in no way changes facts. For most, ResMed is far superior to any other brand. If you don't appreciate opinions, sorry. There will be opinions about products shared here all the time. Opinions I find here are based on fact.

Have a great day.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, could you tell me how to change that setting?  I have the same machine and also find the breathing noisy.
Post Reply Post Reply
APAPnoob you can request a manual for your machine at this link https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BIG change in AHI almost overnight alanbc 18 452 Yesterday, 09:31 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  ADD DR. TO CPAP MACHINE; CAN IT BE DONE AT HOME? RainyDog 3 190 05-17-2024, 01:35 PM
Last Post: RainyDog
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 82 7,491 05-13-2024, 05:28 PM
Last Post: ArcherNeedsSleep
  Advice re purchasing a new CPAP machine..models and foam... cate1898 10 358 05-13-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  Airmini noise question sfr79 40 23,362 05-12-2024, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Debsmith
  Algorithm change in the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV terp1984 2 259 05-05-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 2 606 05-04-2024, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Melman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.