Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do I need CPAP?
Grin 
Do I need CPAP?
Hi All,

First time poster - very nice to meet you all. 

I just received the results of a sleep study, which I have attached. The Dr didn't seem sure if CPAP was the right treatment for me and I was hoping some of you might have an opinion?

It looks like I didn't have that many Apneas but quite a few Hypopneas. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do I need CPAP?
Any indication of either "periodic breathing" or Cheyne-stokes breathing?  Were your respiration flows plotted? 

(Periodic breathing or Cheyne-stokes are characterized by waxing and waning breathing patterns like soSmile
[img][Image: us6XIhb.jpg][/img]
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board,

The things I'm seeing that would have me say yes you need CPAP: hypopnea are roughly 50-70% a full apnea. You had 113 hypopnea, one obstructive apnea, and these hypopnea were average time between 27.6 - 33.7 seconds. 113 partial blockages that lasted about 30 seconds each seems like you need to treat these.

If you're going to treat, try your best to get a ResMed machine, be it an AutoSet (Auto CPAP) or VAuto (Auto bilevel). The 10 series is still a great option.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Dave. You have a hypopnea index over 17 per hour, so your problem is likely a partial obstruction of the airway which is resulting in a very high RDI (respiratory disturbance index) of 60, or one per minute. CPAP can help with this, but some bilevel pressure is very effective in treating this persistent flow limitation which leads to the hypopnea and arousals. A Resmed Airsense 10 or 11 Autoset provides the CPAP therapy, but its key feature EPR (exhale pressure relief) makes this machine unique and allows it to deliver bilevel pressure with up to 3-cm of pressure difference between inhale (IPAP) and exhale (EPAP). This pressure difference can greatly mitigate flow limitation by supporting inspiration with higher pressure and naturally cycling to a lower exhale pressure.

If you have high deductibles or copay, consider buying the Resmed Airsense 10 Card to Cloud version from Supplier #1 at $399. That is a limited time price, but may be less than using insurance with a high copay.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes you need cpap.  All  Hypopnea are obstructive apnea - you can see how they are classified in my signature at the bottom of this post.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.