Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Extremely rapid breathing on bi-level (28 resp. rate)
RE: Extremely rapid breathing on bi-level (28 resp. rate)
Update:

I had an EKG done today and I was told that the results were totally normal. Had blood tests done and a urine sample and will hear back about results tomorrow.

Pulse rate was quite high when measured at the doctor's office (120). I wonder what this could be.
Post Reply Post Reply
With the understanding that this is completely experimental, maybe we can try some alternative trigger sensitivity settings. I very rarely suggest a less-sensitive trigger (low), but it might help to slow down the inspiration trigger in your case. Give it a try and don't hesitate to change back if it gets uncomfortable.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is a passing thought, but wouldn't increasing the Cycle setting prolong the inhalation phase? This would increase tidal volume and reduce the respiration rate.

-- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good idea. I'm going to put cycle on high, and trigger on low, as Sleeprider suggested. 

Thank you both. I'll update tomorrow about how it went.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cycle on high makes the transition from inspiration to expiration pressure faster. I was kind of holding that in my hip pocket for the moment so-as to try one change at a time. I'm actually thinking it might be better to slow that transition using a "lower" sensitivity to cycle might be more helpful in mitigating the tachypenea than a higher sensitivity setting which would cut inspiration time. I really prefer to do this slowly enough to differentiate the changes in settings, mainly because we don't frequently try to alter the respiration rate using trigger/cycle sensitivity, and the feature is not well documented for this use. We usually use trigger sensitivity for individual with central apnea and cycle for those with COPD needing longer expiration. I called this change "experimental", and make no representations they will work better or worse for the presented condition, but I am adamant that we should only make one change at a time.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Please|, only one change at a time as Sleeprider suggests above!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I also concur with both Sleeprider and Gideon on their recommendation to only modify one parameter at a time. By changing several parameters at once and the results aren't successful, you won't know which modification caused the failure. My post was intended as a Plan B consideration, if Plan A doesn't work.

-- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all,

Thank you for warning me about how only one change should be made at a time. I didn't see your messages before bed but fortunately I came to my senses and realised that too many changes at once will complicate things. So fortunately all I did was change the trigger setting. Trigger was set to low and cycle was set to medium. Easybreathe was on. IPAP 12 and EPAP 9. 

The respiratory rate is much better now, however some rapid breathing still occurred. Flow rate looks like there's flow limitation too. Maybe the respiratory rate can be further improved by setting the cycle to low, as Sleeprider suggested. Not sure how to fix the cut-off peaks because without a high trigger setting I get central apneas when the PS is higher than 3.

First screenshot is a section where the respiratory rate is better. Second screenshot is where the rapid breathing pattern occurred again.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
If you zoom out is this rapid breathing during REM?
Post Reply Post Reply
A breath is counted each time the flow rate crosses the zero line. Because your waveform is oscillating on the zero line, is the reason it is reporting a high respiration rate. It should be considered like a false positive.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bi-Level Titration Help Norman2195 4 142 05-18-2024, 05:03 PM
Last Post: Norman2195
  Understanding Philips Dreamstation data in OSCAR - A-Flex, leak rate and pressure? Stubert 3 108 05-16-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Is this real CSR or periodic breathing? Should I be worried? Jonkier 6 251 05-16-2024, 04:34 AM
Last Post: Narcil
Question (OSCAR)Help needed, with analyzing a breathing curve, any experience with this? :-) Letsfixthis 4 191 05-14-2024, 02:27 PM
  Help with moving from Lowenstein APAP to Resmed Bi-Level WisNaeMe 7 456 05-11-2024, 04:18 PM
  [Treatment] RagingBull - Bi-Level Help RagingBull 27 1,113 05-11-2024, 03:07 PM
Last Post: RagingBull
  wild pulse rate swings (o2 ring) eok361 2 178 05-10-2024, 11:10 AM
Last Post: icipher

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.