Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Finding right mask- 1 week in
Finding right mask- 1 week in
I’m on my second week and I’m doing decent overall but due to a number of factors I can’t quite figure out what mask to use. I have several masks here. All ResMed. F20 that I did my test in. They also gave me a nose mask not sure of number but haven’t tried it yet. Has front hose and is not the pillow or cradle kind it’s an actual mask). My medical supply place gave me and f30i to try bc I mentioned the f20 loses it seal in side and stomach sleeping. I also asked for an n30i bc my mom likes it. 

My factors so far
1- I prefer a top tube (snorkel) bc I toss and turn and I like to stomach sleep although I typically sleep in ALL positions at some point. 

2-The most comfortable mask for me was the f20 full mask. Less claustrophobic and although straps left marks on my face I didn’t care as it didn’t hurt nose or mouth. Due to high pressure I got a chin strap though.  I like to nose breath but on my back at night I wind up mouth breathing and didn’t like that. The chinstrap helps). I don’t like elephant trunk front hose. Unfortunately it loses seal on side some and especially stomach and bc of my air pressure when seal breaks it SHOOTS air into my eyes. But I want to like this mask bc it feels natural. I just pretend I’m iceman in top gun. 

3-I tried the F3 hybrid  full face mask but with basal cradle. It was recommended bc it might be better for me sleeping on things other than my back. Initial thought was it felt smothering on my nose during the ramp up. It also seemed to retain more moisture and led to me drooling and sniffling. I didn’t use the chinstrap bc I didn’t have it yet (I only tried one night and slept so bad I got a chinstrap and went back to the f20 next night with better results). But now that I’ve been using n30i nasal pillow I’m wondering if I should give it another shot especially bc I like the top hose. 

4- the last 3-4 days I’ve worn the n30i with a chinstrap too. Nasal cradle. Things I love - less bulky easy to put on and quick release to go to bathroom.  Top hose allows me to flip around in all positions. Things I don’t like- seal breaks on my stomach (preferred position) unless I crank the mask so right like a pig nose. Did that one night and slept the best but not worth the nose pain. Loosened it and if it’s comfortable it breaks seal and air hits my face hisses and wakes me up. Pressure at 20 is a factor. I know nasal pillows are interchangeable with this mask. I’ve thought about it. Not sure I love the thought of pillows up my nostrils and the nose only mask has been leaving me feeling stuffy and dried out with a mild sinus headache. I want to like this mask though. 

I’ve been wondering if I should give up stomach sleeping but I really like to at some parts of the night and get my best sleep that way. Side sleeping is ok but I can’t stay in a full side sleep position bc of a rib/sternum injury that flares up when I side sleep too much.  I could just sleep on my back with f20 and chinstrap and deal with it but it hurts my back and I don’t sleep as good all on my back. I have wondered if I could put my f20 on the f30i headgear with top hose and then at least I could side sleep a bit maybe with minimal leaks. Or would nasal pillows fix the seal breaking on my stomach and I just deal with sinus issues. 

Any help or thoughts would be great. Right now my plan is to try each mask again each night and see. Then maybe ask for nasal pillows and try them and maybe try on my own to put my f20 on the f30i mask (I heard it fits but hisses). I wish my pressure wasn’t so high. I tolerate it ok but it complicates things. I’m also thinking I need more air on ramp. 

If anyone actually reads all this I sincerely thank you. 

John
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Finding right mask- 1 week in
If you're trying the N30i, ask for the P30i nasal pillow. It fits your mask and stays in place better than the nasal cradle. My wife had the N30i and it leaked like crazy, so I gave her the medium nasal pillow from my P30i starter. Worked great. Use a nasal pillow large enough to seal on the OUTSIDE of the nares. The pillow openings only stabilize the fit, they don't go into the nose unless you wear a size too small
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I was wondering about that.
Post Reply Post Reply
The "solution" to "need more air on ramp" is to turn ramp off, unless you simply can't get to sleep without it. I don't think I've ever used ramp. I had a heck of a time with the wrong mask for my face in the beginning, but ramp wouldn't help with that anyway.

Personally, I don't have any control of what position I'm in when asleep, only when awake, and I'm not usually in the same one when I wake up...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Need Help Finding Right Settings iwesterbeck 4 193 05-29-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  HI 0.0 for a week straight.. is this a malfunction? bitteroblivion 14 393 05-07-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  First week on PAP, pointers please. Snutjava 0 157 04-26-2024, 05:10 AM
Last Post: Snutjava
  First post - First week of CPAP R1c4ard06 3 215 04-16-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: R1c4ard06
  Finding the Correct Mask snpperhd 6 289 04-13-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: snpperhd
  Having fluctuating results 3rd week in. Data attached Jscott321 5 346 04-03-2024, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Jscott321
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 9 799 03-30-2024, 08:27 AM
Last Post: jdavis

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.