Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support
Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support
Hello everyone,

Does anyone on ASV use a full-face mask with consistently good results?

I've been on ASV for 6 weeks and I finally started to get good results the last couple of weeks. However, with this improvement in sleep quality a new issue arose: mouth breathing. I've already tried the whole anti-mouth breathing kit: soft cervical collar, chin strap, mouth taping... Although taping effectively seals my mouth, it still doesn't help as it leads to "chipmunk cheeks". My body simply demands to breathe through my mouth, even if for just a few seconds. This is not a problem at all during the first 5/6 hours of sleep, it always happens in the early morning. I suspect it is due to REM sleep becoming more prominent at that time.

I recently got a hold of a ResMed AirFit F30i but I haven't even been able to fall asleep with it on as the high pressure from ASV causes the mask to inflate and bounce, making it unusable.

For reference, my machine is a ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support
The F & P Vitera works well for me personally (using this ventilator and also on the ASV I have).  Dave (Sarcastic) has used the Vitera with ASV and liked it also.  I like the "roll fit" upper part of the mask that provides a good, snug fit around the top of the nose area with minimal tightening of the straps (they actually recommend wearing the top straps loose on the Vitera).  

Any other ASV users who have found a good mask that doesn't leak much; and that can take large pressure swings (from large PS) please feel free to post also.  Just for reference, my PS at times was around 10, and the Vitera performed well IMO.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, my last and best mask with the ASV was the Fisher and Paykel Vitera. It handled IPAP 25 just fine. I've used the Simplus as well with good results, but Vitera was better. ResMed F20 always leaked for me. Philips Respironics Amara View leaked as well.

If you can try nasal pillows, it may work as well if you don't mouth breathe or are willing to train yourself.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed just introduced the Airfit F40 full face mask. It should solve problems with the mask inflating as itis the smallest mask interface with a front-facing tube. The F30i has a top entry airtube and the top and sides of the mask frame are very flexible to allow air to come down to the mask. This results in a lot of bounce in ASV or bilevel with a lot of PS. I would expect this will be available in 4 to 6 weeks as it was just introduced. https://www.massdevice.com/resmed-launch...face-mask/
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for mentioning the new AirFit F40.  I have the F20 and the ballooning issue has been inferring with my sleep recently.  I'm going to buy one as soon as I can Apria has them in stock and ResMed provides a sizing guide online.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you want a head start, and can afford it, you might put in a pre-order with Supplier #1 or one of the other online majors. They could be seeing the first of these masks next week. I know because I just got a promo from Supplier #1 that it is offered for $155, and you can use any coupons you get from signing up on their mailing list.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I just ordered the F40. I do have a F30i and F30. I find the F30i is not great at higher pressures, the F30 is a bit better. Looking forward to the new F40.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dog-gone-it you're quick.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I also ordered the new F40 through Supplier #1 and I was able to get 25 % off. I guess my life is rather sad when I look forward to getting a new improved cpap mask. Oh well, such is life.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for letting me know about that. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pressure and mask leaks Jmrs 4 217 6 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Full face mask slipping up over lips basically functional 3 83 6 hours ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Equipment] Mask recommendation for a sensitive side-sleeper who might have an unusual face shape PersonInNY 10 499 05-14-2024, 07:08 PM
Last Post: PersonInNY
  Full face mask problems with narrow face Joey76 5 198 05-14-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: mawaw1992
  [Equipment] F&P full face mask flap question louwho 8 249 05-09-2024, 07:55 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 17 623 05-06-2024, 01:53 PM
Last Post: jake79
  Setting Recommendations sawinglogs1234 5 217 04-30-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.