Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Got Bipap instead of prescribed ResMed Autoset machine. Please help me get going.
Got Bipap instead of prescribed ResMed Autoset machine. Please help me get going.
Hey everyone. I was prescribed a ResMed Auto CPAP from my online sleep study doctor, but I unfortunately couldn't afford one so my cousin gave me her machine that she hasn't used in 1 year. She gave me her ResMed Autocurve 10 S which is a Bipap machine.

I have the settings at IPAP: 8 and EPAP:5. I used that for 2 nights and I was getting .1 AHI on the reading which I believe is good but I was waking up so tired and it took me a while to sleep when I typically fall asleep in 5 minutes without the machine. So I'm thinking that reading isn't enough for me to know if my settings are optimal. I did try a pressure of 10 and my AHI went up to around 1.

Overall, I'm noticing that my breathing seems off (tried an Airfit F20 and a Philips Dreamwear - both full face since I tend to breath from my mouth sometimes). Basically I'm feeling like I'm being forced to breathe too fast. That's the best way I could describe it. When setting it to regular CPAP mode (just started testing that a bit ago before making this post), it's feeling like I have to force an exhale. It's very weird. So I put it back to the S mode where the IPAP and EPAP settings can be adjusted. Is it normal for CPAP mode to feel like I can't exhale? I looked online and people mentioned an ERP setting but that doesn't exist on this machine model. When I'm in the S mode, the exhale isn't a problem. It's easier to exhale the lower I go (3 is the minimum).

I'm just not sure where to go from here. I just want to obviously get my settings right and sleep comfortably. If you guys can help me it would be greatly appreciated. I've had years of terrible sleep and just need to get this fixed.

If it helps, attached is the data that was recorded with my sleep study.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Got Bipap instead of prescribed ResMed Autoset machine. Please help me get going.
Please download the free OSCAR software which will give much better data on the events and therapy. Your AHI is good, but that kind of summary is not going let us identify why you still fee unsatisfied with the therapy. The Aircurve 10 VPAP-S is a good machine, but we're going to need the data to help you optimize and find the problem areas. The feeling of resistance for exhale is a common complaint for CPAP, and you have a lot of settings we might use to help. With IPAP 8.0, EPAP 5.0 that is the same as using a Resmed CPAP at 8.0 pressure with EPR at 3. OSCAR is the answer to your questions, and be sure you have a SD card 4-32 GB to put in the card slot of your machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Got Bipap instead of prescribed ResMed Autoset machine. Please help me get going.
Thank you I will use that ASAP and report back here. I appreciate the quick response.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet question. Big Guy 23 356 7 hours ago
Last Post: srlevine1
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 293 268,920 05-03-2024, 07:03 AM
Last Post: rivkamakeda
  ResMed S9 AutoSet - Extreme Newbie Richg44006 17 7,296 04-25-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: jean23
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 9 471 04-24-2024, 03:22 PM
Last Post: Tmjidaho
Question [Equipment] What Is Autoset (ResMed) 10 and Can It Be Disabled? Rickyricardo 2 201 04-18-2024, 03:07 PM
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 386 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] ResMed Autoset 11 Settings Optimization anker9000 0 258 04-02-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: anker9000

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.