Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How often to replace mask, hose, etc.
How often to replace mask, hose, etc.
Hi, new to the board. I have been using my Resmed 10 for about 10 months. It helps the Apnea but sometimes it interrupts my sleep with noisy leaks.
My question is about replacement. My supplier thinks I should replace the mask (full mask with memory foam cushion) every month, and the hoses and other parts every 90 days. Is this schedule needed? 
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How often to replace mask, hose, etc.
If you're using a silicone mask then you can wash it w/ dish soap and be fine for 6 months - 1 year.

This cycle you quote is setup to make durable medical equipment providers profit and not a benefit to you. The supplies I go through most frequently are the head gear as they stretch out and the air filters for the machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cleaning and replacement schedules are a personal choice. Some do it on their insurance schedule, others have their own.

I use things until I notice a change for the worse. My heated hose is 4 years old, my nasal pillows are about a year old, my full-face mask is about a year old, headgear is about 6 months old, my water chamber is the original from when I got my machine 5 years ago. The only thing I change often is the filter due to my allergies.

I have washed my hose maybe 2-3 times in 4+ years, masks get wiped down daily with baby bum wipes when used and washed maybe twice a year, water chamber maybe every twice a year as I use homemade distilled water, headgear never washed just replaced. If I notice anything that looks grungy, I wash it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just my opinion, what you'll probably want is a small surplus of maybe 2 extra of everything, then don't replace until it's really broke or worn out. Then as you take one from your surplus stack, order it. Filters are about the only thing you'll consider replacing frequently. However some have successfully cleaned the filter.

DME likes having you order things, because there's markup bringing a constant money flow. Max orders plus minimal support equals DME.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Depending on what mask you use, when you swap out the old headgear, save some of the parts. For example on the F-20 FFM, the magnetic clips on the headgear tend to break as they are made of cheap plastic. When you swap out the headgear, save the clips. I also save the elbow that goes from the mask to the hose.

Like SarcasticDave said, it is good to have 1 or 2 backups of everything.

Homer
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-29-2023, 06:57 AM)bigla6940 Wrote: Hi, new to the board. I have been using my Resmed 10 for about 10 months. It helps the Apnea but sometimes it interrupts my sleep with noisy leaks.

In my experience, the straps and cushions lose their elasticity with time. Hand-washing the mask straps with mild detergent helps. I also wash the cushion daily with dishwashing detergent and warm water to remove face oils. (I use the cheap detergent with no additives for skin care. If I see anything on the label that states it's good for preventing dry hands, I don't use it). I also change out the cushions every three weeks, and the mask every three months. I also shave before bedtime. All of this is to help prevent leaks.

I also change the filter every 3 weeks when I change out the cushions.

Quote:My question is about replacement. My supplier thinks I should replace the mask (full mask with memory foam cushion) every month, and the hoses and other parts every 90 days. Is this schedule needed? 

That's the recommended replacement schedule. Also, replacing the water tank every six months. Personally, other than what I've stated above, I tend to replace these parts only when needed. I do use a tubing brush to wash out the tubing every month or so, when I notice an odor.

Check the water tank for mineral deposits and slime build up. I rinse it out daily and let it dry, and wash it with warm water and dish detergent every so often, and use a small brush to reach into the nooks and crannies. If that's not enough, then after washing you can use vinegar to remove mineral deposits and slime. I don't do this as I feel it etches the surface and makes it easier for slime to build up over time. I feel the same way about using peroxide to remove slime.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your responses. I will follow your advice. It did seem unnecessary to replace these items so frequently.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Heated hose for camping? Snorelax 8 213 04-30-2024, 09:24 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Need best way to secure my hose/tube sleepingbetterinFl 2 171 04-21-2024, 05:16 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Regular vs Slimline Hose for Airsense 10 Auto IIII 27 8,030 04-12-2024, 02:13 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 213 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Question Hose volume Willw 4 369 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 326 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  Replace mask: recommendations too often? BlueSky1958 1 318 01-28-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.