Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask driving me crazy
Mask driving me crazy
I started therapy 1.5 months ago and switched to a Philips resperonics full face mask due to mouth leakage. Every time I move (side sleeper mostly, some back), the mask loses the seal and wakes me up. I added a liner and that helped with the seal around the chin but now it keeps losing the seal under the nose. The hose coming out of the top of my head is ideal so I don’t get tangled but I saw those holder things on Amazon so I could try that with a hose that comes out of front. I just don’t want to spend a bunch of money trying masks. I’m female, 5’8 145lbs oval shaped face, if that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask driving me crazy
Unfortunately, the mask is the one thing that has to fit you almost perfectly for optimal therapy, and at the same time it can be frustrating to find that fit.

Some suppliers will allow you to trial a mask for 30 days, like Supplier #1, but you sometimes have to pay shipping when returning it.

Read through the  Mask Primer

You may find some tips for a better fit.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It’s so frustrating! I’ll check it out, thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
A lot of people who mouth breathe find that they can control leaks better by using a nasal mask or nasal pillows mask and then tape their mouths.  This is what I do and leaks are rare now.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
What kind of tape do you use? I tried it once and my tongue or something pushed the tape off a little so air could get out and it made a weird sound haha
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to use silicone tape, but I often had lots of leaks with that.  I am using Hypafix tape right now, but I think I'll switch to Cover Roll tape because it is stretchy.  I use the 2 inch wide version.  I started with 1 inch, but it was too narrow for me and it leaked a lot.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks a bunch! I have the silicone tape now and I’ll check out the other two.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am using cover roll and a nasal mask at the moment. It seems to have a really nice balance of holding power and ease of use if I fold one corner down before sticking it to my face. I had leak trouble with one FFM and other issues with the other and actually found that the therapy was noticeably worse with both FFM, at least for me, compared to nasal mask with tape.
Look, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! Please don't take my opinion as a substitute for medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the suggestion boxcarpete. I followed the directions opalrose gave me and it actually worked pretty well last night but I may try a different type of tape. I tried the silicone kind and it did not work.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Detection Driving Me Nuts!! Reznik 65 12,188 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: ChristianH
  Am I crazy for complaining to this DME seller about the reservoir I ordered? sweetbobby 14 698 03-08-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: sweetbobby
  Low RDI but still feeling tired... crazy tidal volume psreiser 2 606 10-12-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: psreiser
Gross Mask noises are making me crazy Dreamless 7 1,019 09-08-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Dreamless
Question [CPAP] Help with Flow Limits driving pressure Nathan Graves 2 693 06-04-2023, 10:14 PM
Last Post: fishfinderG
  Wife's Crazy Sleeping Heart Rate, Ideas? Apnea23 11 1,300 04-14-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: pwnorris
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,796 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.