Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask vs. Nasal Pillows? How do you know what to use?
RE: Mask vs. Nasal Pillows? How do you know what to use?
antcyd,
I second Paula's comment - don't settle.

My provider was very helpful, letting me take up to 3 face devices at a time until we found the sweet spot.

As you see, I've decided to keep 2. Pillows for everyday comfort, and full mask when I must mouth breathe.

AC
Post Reply Post Reply
Someone told me they use vaseline for the nasal irritation, I thought I read somewhere NOT to use vaseline. thoughts???
Post Reply Post Reply
Vaseline is a petroleum based product and petroleum based products will degrade the silicone cushion faster so Vaseline should not be used when wearing a mask. Lansinoh is pure lanolin and will not degrade the silicone cushion.
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
check the mask manual to see if you can use petroleum products. Some you cannot.

If I have a sore nose, I use Ayr nasal gel stuff thing.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2012, 05:29 PM)antcyd Wrote: Someone told me they use vaseline for the nasal irritation, I thought I read somewhere NOT to use vaseline. thoughts???
I've read that Vaseline (petroleum jelly) is not good for mask as it cause deterioration but if not touching the mask then it would fine. Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
I know I am being impatient but I am so frustrated. I cant sleep more than 2 hours before I am taking my mask off for the night. Its only been 3 nights but I thought it would get better. I have tried using my CPAP for a while before going to sleep and I definitly get used to it pretty quickly but the minute I shut off the TV I become totally focused on my breathing, the mask etc. I dread going to bed!!! I am thinking of taking something to help me sleep tonight but thinking thats sort of defeating the purpose? Once I take the mask off I fall asleep immediatly so its not that I am not tired. Advice???
Post Reply Post Reply
antcyd,

Have you tried using the ramp feature with a long ramp up time? I believe the default start pressure is 4 and you should be able to extend the time to 45 minutes. This may allow you to adjust to the pressure more easily.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not quite clear if you're saying you can't fall asleep at all or that you fall asleep but then wake up after 2 hours.

If you can't fall asleep at all, do you have a sleep timer on your TV? Some people need to have some background noise to help them quiet their thoughts and fall asleep. Maybe setting the sleep timer on your TV, if you have one, would help you not be as focused on your breathing and allow you to fall asleep? Or, maybe try one of those white noise machines?

If you're waking up after 2 hours, that's not all that uncommon when first starting therapy. I started mine in 9/2011 and still wake up sometimes, but usually I'm able to go right back to sleep. If you use the software that's available for free and review your data, it might provide you with some clues as to why you're waking up. For instance, your mask might be coming loose causing leaks and that could be something that is waking you up.

It could be any number of things. I know how aggravating it can be, but 3 nights is not much time and if you keep working at it and find the setup that works for you, the rewards will be well worth it.
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Tsk tsk. Bad sleep hygiene to watch TV in bed.

If you find you are hearing and noticing yourself breathe so much (which is quite common), there's a few things you can do.

You can get a white noise machine to listen to instead. If you have an iPhone or iPod Touch, there's several white noise apps. I use the one called White Noise.

You can play some sort of quiet, relaxing music.

You can actually focus more on the breathing and turn it into a kind of meditation thing (which is what I do most quite often). This means you aren't fighting the noise and thoughts.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2012, 03:00 PM)antcyd Wrote: If I call are they going to take my nasal pillows away? I sleep on my stomach, not sure which would be best for that?

You should be able to keep the old one while you try the new one. I highly recommend HPA lanolin for the nasal irritation. You can find it in the baby care section of any drug store. It's marketed as a salve for nursing mothers. Just put a small dab on a q-tip and apply it to the inside of your nostrils. It prevents irritation and helps you get a snug comfortable fit.

Some DME's feel nasal pillows are more likely to be tolerated well by their patients. Others prefer nasal masks. It all depends on their experience with their patients and what works best for them.

Some patients complain about the pressure generated inside the nose by the nasal pillows. Others complain about the nasal mask pushing against their pillow.

Things that bother us when we first try them tend to not bother us so much after we get used to them.

I started out with nasal masks. Tried a couple different kinds. Like you, I am also a stomach sleeper. I got a papillow (google it) which helped. I finally settled on nasal pillows, which I now like very much.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  F&P Oracle oral mask + nasal pillow??? dfunk 2 102 05-08-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  AirSense 11 w/pillows IOWIN1979 2 281 05-07-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Pillows vs Hybrid surprised at AHI difference Bampf 3 181 05-06-2024, 06:29 AM
Last Post: Bampf
  [Equipment] Do dedicated CPAP pillows actually help? Old Moondog 6 256 04-26-2024, 06:50 AM
Last Post: Old Moondog
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 1,097 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,446 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 226 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.