Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

MissDonna - Positional Therapy Thread
RE: Soft Cervical Collar Question
The soft cervical collar you have may be too large (too tall).  You can try smaller sizes (a compromise that would at least hopefully be sustainable for you long term, yet still provide some benefit).  Some people have even tried a travel pillow (the "C" shaped ones that curl around the back of your neck).  Just wear it backwards.  You can probably think of many more ways to improvise based on items that you already have.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
This may help with the sizing…

[attachment=54869]
Post Reply Post Reply
Having a closed jaw is preferred to prevent air from a pressurized airway entering the mouth for leaks. It also can help prevent chin-tucking that restricts the upper airway. Teeth-clenching (bruxism) is not caused by a closed jaw, but by contraction of the muscles in the jaw. The SSC is supposed to let those muscles relax.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2023, 07:46 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:  The SSC is supposed to let those muscles relax.

Well.....the SSC I'm using was forcing my jaw closed and my teeth firmly together.

PeaceLoveAndPizza....based on the chart you posted, I'm wearing the right size collar....or maybe even one a little small.

The one I bought was based on the circumference of the wearer's neck, and I have no problems there.

I'm going to try wearing a travel pillow backwards tonight as Jay51 suggested.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have seen silicone mouthpieces on Amazon, etc. that fit between the teeth and keep them from grinding at night (bruxism).
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2023, 10:27 AM)Jay51 Wrote: I have seen silicone mouthpieces on Amazon, etc. that fit between the teeth and keep them from grinding at night (bruxism).

Thanks Jay, but I don't grind my teeth at night. When I said that I had a jaw issue from clenching, I should have specified the jaw issue is from clenching in the past.

I used to clench my jaw at night - bringing my teeth together, but there was no grinding - praise the Lord! - and my teeth aren't damaged.

Years ago I read an article about people clenching their teeth at night (unaware they were doing it, of course) to open their airway. I tested that out when I was lying on my back in a hydromassage tube, and I noticed my airway wasn't as open as what I thought it should be.

I clenched my teeth together in the hydromassage tube, and my airway opened properly.

Just thought I'd put that out there for anyone who reads this and think they might have sleep apnea and who also clench their teeth.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wish the Eliminator was still available. I'd try one.
Post Reply Post Reply
Extremely Frustrated
Well.....I find myself in a state of extreme frustration, and I'm wondering if what I'm experiencing is normal.

I thought I really had me something with the wiffle ball taped to the back of my shirt, but it was only the first couple of nights that were great.  :-(

Maybe I have "Princess and the Pea" syndrome?? but I don't sleep well with anything extra involved.

Last night I tried a backpack apparatus with a blowup air tube thingy that my husband had, and it was so restrictive that it wasn't too comfortable.

I've tried some other things too that I just didn't come on here and bore you with, but I'm really frustrated....and tired.....at this point.

Is it normal to have this much of a learning curve or an adjustment curve when it comes to all of this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: MissDonna - Therapy Thread
MissDonna - All 5 of your previous threads deal with your therapy.  For that reason, I have merged them into one thread and renamed it to, "MissDonna - Positional Therapy Thread".  This allows the reader a history of your therapy, and the title change provides for a more inclusive title.   Please post all your therapy related responses in this thread.  I will be sending you a PM confirming this action, too.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abdulfakih - Therapy Thread Abdulfakih 30 354 8 minutes ago
Last Post: Abdulfakih
Question neocharles's Therapy Thread neocharles 2 120 1 hour ago
Last Post: neocharles
  Positional Apnea or Something Else? MrIvanDrago 1 39 2 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Positional Apnea or Something Else? MrIvanDrago 2 65 5 hours ago
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
Idea SonjaAHI41 - Therapy Thread SonjaAHI41 13 338 6 hours ago
Last Post: Narcil
Question [CPAP] TPoc's Therapy Thread TPoc 30 1,044 Yesterday, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] TheBinarySon's Treatment Thread TheBinarySon 2 76 Yesterday, 05:28 PM
Last Post: TheBinarySon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.