Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Help with treatment and getting more than 4-6hrs of sleep.
Help with treatment and getting more than 4-6hrs of sleep.
Hey I'm a new user.

I was diagnosed through lofta. I've been using a BiPap for about a year and I switched to a resmed 11 Auto CPAP last month. I switched so I could get assistance and monitoring. My Resmed 10 BiPap was bought from a reseller and I couldn't get any assistance with my sleep apnea using that machine.

I'm forgetting so much and life is slipping and I think it's due to the lack of sleep.

Can you all give me a hand. I can't get more than 6 hours of choppy sleep. I usually get 4 hours of sleep a night, but the machine says I get 9+ because I put the mask on at 8pm. I got to bed early because I have a 1yr and I like to sleep when he goes to sleep and I like to wake up early to study and do hobbies when my baby is still asleep.

Anyway, I'm having events or something that keeps arousing me and eventually I wake up and I'm exhausted all day. Despite the machine saying I got 9+ hours with .5 event/hr or 1 event/hr. It's more like 2 events/hour and 4 hours of sleep.

Here are some screenshots of my last two nights.

I use a Resmed 11 Auto CPAP. Resmed N20 Airsoft Medium mask. I just got in a Large N20 AirFit. I'm going to use it tonight.
I have an issue with my nostrils where one of them hardly breathes in air. The other feels clear.

My pressure is set to a range of 8-9. I tried an EPR of 1 last night. But I usually don't use it because I read on here how EPR can cause CA events.

I set these low pressures because when I go higher I have burps, back pain that wakes me, and stomach pain that wakes me. The pain is from aerophagia, I belch and flatulence all day.

Here's the data from my at home sleep study.

Sleep Summary
Start Study Time: 9:07:04 PM
End Study Time: 3:35:57 AM
Total Recording Time: 6 hrs, 28 min
Total Sleep Time 6 hrs, 6 min
% REM of Sleep Time: 33.3

Respiratory Indices
                 Total Events REM   NREM All Night
pRDI:             106         39.5  6.9      17.5
pAHI 3%:       73           28.4  4.2     12.1
pAHIc 3%:      0             0.0     0.0     0.0
ODI 3%:        66            25.8    3.7   10.9
pAHI 4%:       18                                3.0
ODI 4%:         3                                  0.5

Pulse Rate Statistics during Sleep (BPM)
Mean: 60 Minimum: 43 Maximum: 102

I'm 5'10" 188lb 16" Neck circ.
I was 2 years younger and 200lbs when I took the sleep test.

Thanks yall!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with treatment and getting more than 4-6hrs of sleep.

Zoomed in on a CA.
Post Reply Post Reply
It looks like you're staying below the major leak threshold, but you're having small leaks consistently throughout the night. I know for me it doesn't take much of a leak to wake me up. Make sure you're not over-tightening the head gear as that can contribute to leaks. Did the new cushion make a difference? Also, since you mentioned having a blocked nostril, the disruption in airflow could be contributing to arousals. Have you tried out a full face mask? Another option would be an ENT consult to see if there's a more permanent solution.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your Cpap pressure goes up when you have flow limits. Flow limits are apnea just like Oa and H events. They are smaller in obstruction and length of time but need to be controlled. They could be a reason why you are waking up. 

We use RPR to lessen flow limits -

Turn EPR to FULL TIME and set it to 3.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] TheBinarySon's Treatment Thread TheBinarySon 2 54 1 hour ago
Last Post: TheBinarySon
  [Treatment] Help with treatment etc csl1 12 298 1 hour ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Alwyn - Treatment Analysis alwyns42 25 737 05-31-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: alwyns42
  2 Months In For CPAP Treatment - Getting Centrals airwaywarrior 6 265 05-30-2024, 07:22 PM
Last Post: airwaywarrior
  ac123 Treatment Thoughts/Help ac123 6 252 05-30-2024, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 8 603 05-21-2024, 03:06 PM
Last Post: HenryECole81
Question [Diagnosis] Have I missed anything for testing or treatment options? ac123 11 353 05-17-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: ac123

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.