Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Whats wrong with mouth breathing?
Whats wrong with mouth breathing?
Mouth breather here, wearing a Airtouch F20 of course. Alot of threads and posts I see, recommend mouth tape and I've never heard this until recently until I started doing my research heavily. What effect does mouth breathing have on your treatment? If you're a mouth breather, is it a good idea to start taping your mouth and only using your nose to get better treatment and better sleep? or does it have no affect on you whatsoever? Ive heard varying things so I'm curious as a mouth breather, what I should be doing. In my own personal experience, I have tried to use nasal only masks but if my nostrils get clogged, forget about it honestly, it sucks to try to breathe.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Whats wrong with mouth breathing?
Taping lifts your jaw, putting your tongue in a fixed position so it cannot move backward. As a result, when you inhale through your nose, the inhalation resistance is lower, and you have lower chances of obstructions and hypopneas.
I was also a mouth breather. Once I started to tape my mouth, my AHIs and treatment pressure dropped.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! Ill more than likely try it since I heard it does lower events. I was just really curious what the census was on it since I've heard people use mouth tape.
Post Reply Post Reply
AFAIK, for your treatment, you don't need to worry about mouth-leaking if you're wearing a full face mask. To avoid mouth-breathing try using the NeilMed Sinus Rinse Kit an hour or so before bedtime, and Biotene mouth wash to treat and prevent dry mouth.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think it's in regards to mouth leaking, I believe nose only breathing helps with lowering apnea. I did buy some mouth tape, so I'm going to use a nose mask and see how it goes and helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pressurization of the nasopharynx but not the oral cavity can provide more efficacy at a given pressure level, but like everything in this world it depends greatly on your the subtleties of your personal anatomy just how much that is. For some, they lose the benefit entirely even with mouth tape because they get "chipmunk cheeks" and the pressure is held in the oral cavity, though it's not allowed out which is still better than mouth leaks.

There is also some medical research showing that nasal airflow triggers certain hormones to be released, which are considered to be good for optimal health in some way. I'm not sure of the specifics, but you could look into it if you're interested in knowing more about it.
Look, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! Please don't take my opinion as a substitute for medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2024, 08:49 AM)BoxcarPete Wrote: For some, they lose the benefit entirely even with mouth tape because they get "chipmunk cheeks" and the pressure is held in the oral cavity, though it's not allowed out which is still better than mouth leaks.

Even with a full face mask?!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I suppose it's theoretically possible for pressure to be raised only in the nasal passages and not the oral cavity with a FFM, but if the mouth opens at all at any point, the pressure will equalize, whereas with a nasal mask as long as the nasopharynx is separated from the oral cavity, the pressures can be different and the mouth can be open. Hope that answers your question.
Look, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! Please don't take my opinion as a substitute for medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth Tape suggestions BlueSky1958 15 433 Yesterday, 09:13 PM
Last Post: BlueSky1958
Question (OSCAR)Help needed, with analyzing a breathing curve, any experience with this? :-) Letsfixthis 1 70 Yesterday, 06:02 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Equipment] advice for a side sleeping, mouth breather on a mask? hwnboy 5 122 05-08-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: hwnboy
  unstable breathing with BiPAP (possible flow limitations?) shedu1337 3 181 05-03-2024, 01:21 AM
Last Post: shedu1337
  Severe CSA: my astounding results with mouth taping volty 12 430 05-02-2024, 07:57 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  I Think Im Doing This All Wrong DudleyDoRight 13 441 05-02-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  [CPAP] Issues with dry mouth waking me up since raising pressure, can't find good solution jlpool 2 171 05-01-2024, 06:24 PM
Last Post: MoreBeers

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.