Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Drowning sensation?
RE: Drowning sensation?
This may be true as I get this wheezing and feelings of drowning with my COPD/Asthma diagnosis. I take inhalers daily with a rescue inhaler traveling everywhere I go. I also have a home nebulizer that is used as needed.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am relatively new to PAP therapy, but I started with nose pillows, as is the typical recommendation. I found that though I had a good seal, I wasn't really getting results and found myself waking up some nights feeling really starved for air, almost suffocating rather than drowning, it was NOT a nice feeling. I realized within 2-3 weeks that I actually have fairly chronic sinusitis. What feels normal and good for me is in fact not really very good, I just didn't know how bad it was until I started using my nose for PAP therapy.

I had to switch to a full face since I just couldn't pull the volume through my nose with the nose pillows. I'm working to remedy my nasal issues but in the meantime I am stuck with a full face. Sounds a little similar to what you experienced, but once I woke up and took the mask off things went back to normal pretty quickly.

I suffer from asthma along with the Sinusitis, and like Unicorn Rider said that sounds an awful lot like an asthma attack, odd that you would have never experienced one before and it would be brought on like that though, but you never no. Could be a coincidence or maybe there was something in/on the mask, dust, pollen etc from sitting around that triggered it?

You are probably loathe to use the nose pillow again, but maybe give it a good clean then sit with it on while watching TV for a few hours and see how it feels?
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, let's start off this new page with an Oscar chart that shows us if you're experiencing central apnea and what your settings are. No chart, I don't know. A drowning sensation can occur when you have high mask leaks. It is like trying to breathe with a strong wind in your face. There are other reasons, but without the information, it's just a guess.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like you have an old mask? That might very well add to your woes. Masks and headgear stretch out, and don’t fit the same as when they’re new. The pillows/cushions may have degraded a bit. Also, an old mask might have some nasty growth. This could definitely have an impact on your lungs.

You could take a photo of your mask. Almost certainly, someone can identify it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] CPAP EPR vs. true bi-pap sensation/comfort jawsurgerycanidate453 7 257 08-22-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: jawsurgerycanidate453
  [Symptoms] Rolling "flutter" sensation on apnea/hypopnea, falling asleep ewriter 0 523 09-06-2023, 09:57 AM
Last Post: ewriter
  Waking Up After ~90 Minutes with Strange Head Sensation MickTravis 3 991 01-20-2023, 10:49 PM
Last Post: ewriter
  Throbbing sensation behind the left ear, might be waking me SleepFoo 9 1,080 07-28-2022, 05:15 PM
Last Post: SleepFoo
  Globus sensation -- lump in throat cathyf 2 1,255 05-16-2022, 02:18 PM
Last Post: cathyf
  new CPAP user [suffocating sensation / CA questions] Apnea247 6 1,919 06-29-2018, 10:27 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Full Face Mask and Sensation of Suffocating Dreams of Green 9 4,603 06-05-2017, 03:43 AM
Last Post: ajack

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.