Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Suspected UARS - Can anyone help?
Suspected UARS - Can anyone help?
Hello there, 

I am a 34 year old male who has struggled with their sleep from the age of around 11. I have always found it difficult to get up in the mornings, to go to school/work, always have had very vivid, anxiety-riddled dreams as well as suffering with anxiety, depression and behaviour issues from this age too. 

I was diagnosed with ADHD a couple of years back, which made complete sense, but decided to do an at home sleep study as my understanding was that there can be a strong correlation between ADHD symptoms and sleep disorders. 

The sleep study results don't seem to be super extensive, they detail it's not OSA but I do believe they suggest UARS? Just off of info I've found on the web. Here's a brief breakdown

pRDI (total events): 103
PRDI (all night/per hour): 13.6
pAHI 4% (total events): 2 
pAHI 4% (all night): 0.3
ODI 4% (total events): 2
ODI 4% (all night): 0.3
pAHIc 4%: 0

Oxygen Saturation Stats: 
Mean: 94     Minimum: 91      Max: 98
Mean of Desaturations Nadirs (%): 93 
Oxygen Desatur. % 4-9: 2 
(0 for all others) 

(I've attached the full report also)

I did another test with the NHS after this one and they simply said I do not have OSA, without showing me the results or expanding/elaborating on them at all. 

Given a history of sleep, mental health and attention issues I can't help but feel like these pRDI are surely connected? I'm finding my ADHD symptoms really difficult to deal with at this age and worry about how I'll cope without some form of proper intervention. 

Any input or suggestions of what I might do next would be much appreciated! 

Thanks. 

Stephen

pRDI: 103 pAHI 4%: 2 ODI 4%: 2 pAHIc 4%: 0 % CSR: 0.0
26.9 8.9 13.6

Any input would be much appreciated!

A second part of the sleep study, if it helps!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Suspected UARS - Can anyone help?
Have you ever had an Otolaryngologist (ENT) shove a camera up your nose and comment on the nasal structures? Might be worth the 5 minutes it takes if you can convince the NHS to have it done.

Source: 34M (as of next week), ADHD and some of the other mental symptoms you mention, had two life changing adenoidectomies at ages 8 and 33.

The other thing that helped me a ton was BJJ. Getting a few hours a week to engage in primal struggle with other apes has changed my life in the best way possible. My head is never clearer than it is following a few good rounds of rolling, and after about a year of training, my body's stress response has finally mellowed out after years of being overloaded with career and family. Mornings are still hard sometimes, but even that is getting better. Chronic stress is a killer and it's easy to miss just how bad it is.
Look, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! Please don't take my opinion as a substitute for medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Suspected UARS - Can anyone help?
Thank you for all of this, BoxcarPete. 

I'll see what my GP sais. I certainly have a deviated septum + I also have a very large tongue. These are two other significant factors that make me think this could be UARS. 

I'll have to see about the BJJ. Sounds fun though!

Best,

Stephen
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Early waking, unrefreshed sleep, UARS? WinnerFieldman 1 56 8 hours ago
Last Post: WinnerFieldman
  Two Questions - Flow Rate is UARS Dodies 5 312 09-16-2024, 11:20 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Potential UARS BiPAP Advice gce799 6 592 09-09-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: gce799
  UARS Treatment [Using Philips ASV] SenatorBirch 30 4,696 09-08-2024, 01:44 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Nose congestion and UARS Jstalez 14 803 09-08-2024, 07:07 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Bilevel self-titration for UARS ChickenTenders 7 418 08-30-2024, 04:15 PM
Last Post: ChickenTenders
  [CPAP] OSCAR Interpretation - UARS? ilikecars 12 657 08-27-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.