Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Acceptable Leak Rate
Acceptable Leak Rate
What is considered an acceptable leak rate?  I have moved from differnt types of nasal masks and pillow masks to the Evora FFM due to mouth leaks.  Tape and chin straps don't work for me.  For the most part I have gotten my leak rate down between 10-20 lpm with a FFM.  I also use a KB chin strap to keep my jaw from dropping too far and breaking the seal.  I barely have the upper straps tightened. I find that a comfortable tightness of the lower straps yields roughly 18-20 lpm and if I tighten to achieve a leak rate of around 10 lpm it is a tad too uncomfortable.  Overall I get the smiley face in the morning so I guess I am doing OK.  I attached last nights stats for any feedback.  TY

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Acceptable Leak Rate
ResMed uses a threshold of 24 L/m for the upper limit. 
When leaks get to this level or higher, the machine may not be able to detect or treat your events. Based on the chart you posted, your leaks are spikey, but only hit the upper end briefly. I can't tell if your leaks are a result of a poorly fitted mask or mouth breathing, but maybe someone else will come along and know how to tell. 
Have a look at this mask fit tutorial and see if anything helps. 

How to achieve the perfect mask fit - GUARANTEED! | Apnea Board

The bottom line is unless the leaks are very high for extended periods OR are disturbing your sleep, don't worry about them.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2023, 10:14 AM)upsman Wrote: ResMed uses a threshold of 24 L/m for the upper limit. 
When leaks get to this level or higher, the machine may not be able to detect or treat your events. Based on the chart you posted, your leaks are spikey, but only hit the upper end briefly. I can't tell if your leaks are a result of a poorly fitted mask or mouth breathing, but maybe someone else will come along and know how to tell. 
Have a look at this mask fit tutorial and see if anything helps. 

How to achieve the perfect mask fit - GUARANTEED! | Apnea Board

The bottom line is unless the leaks are very high for extended periods OR are disturbing your sleep, don't worry about them.

Thanks for the advice.  Since it is a full face mask, I would suspect little mask leaks, probably around the mouth area.  I do have a very short beard so that could possibly impact a ittle of the seal.  Also it would be nice if F&P made this cushion in a "wide".  It seems a tad short around the corners of the mouth.  Other than that I love the mask and since I am sleeping well I won't worry too much about the leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried any nasal or nasal pillow masks? 
I'm fortunate in that I'm not a mouth breather and have found the ResMed N30i hybrid nasal mask to be very comfortable and have little to no leakage...even with my full beard. 

The key is being able to breathe through your nose only. Many people have had success with these masks and the use of a chinstrap or mouth tape. This may or may not interest you, but it might be an option for a more comfortable mask.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2023, 01:03 PM)upsman Wrote: Have you tried any nasal or nasal pillow masks? 
I'm fortunate in that I'm not a mouth breather and have found the ResMed N30i hybrid nasal mask to be very comfortable and have little to no leakage...even with my full beard. 

The key is being able to breathe through your nose only. Many people have had success with these masks and the use of a chinstrap or mouth tape. This may or may not interest you, but it might be an option for a more comfortable mask.

I have used them all.  At one time a chin strap worked with the pillows and nasal masks.  Then all of a sudden I got huge mouth leaks.  I tried taping as well; hostage, pap md, somnifix, different types of medical tape.  None worked.  I've bit the bullet and have gone for the FFM.  Still have to use a chin strap (Knightsbridge) due to my jaw relaxing and causing major leaks but that's the way it goes.  Apparently what happens with me is not uncommon.  I have seen videos from the lanky lefty on jaw drop with FFM.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had a lot of problems with mouth leaks and have tried about everything to stop them - taping did not work for me...  I read on this site about the tongue suck method to stop mouth leaks.  What you do is move your tongue to the roof of the mouth - suck it a little to get a seal and it does work.  I tried and tried at first to do it but as soon as I fell asleep my tongue would drop and I had the same leak.  

How did I get it to work?  I practiced doing it most of the day any time I remembered I would do it.  No one knows you are doing it but after a couple of weeks it stopped all my mouth leaks.  Now not strap, tape, nothing just putting my tongue on the roof of my mouth and going to sleep.   Many times during the day I notice my tongue is on the roof of my mouth without even knowing I am doing it.  Give it a try it sure is better than all the taping but it takes a little while.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
A mouth guard may work for you also, that is what I use when using my FF mask...
Post Reply Post Reply
For around my first 4 months of CPAP use, sleep-disturbing mask leaks were a constant nightly problem. I tried different things unsuccessfully to try to fix the problem, but to make a long story short, I did find a solution.

For me, the original Bleep solution (not the newer Eclipse, which I haven't tried) ended ALL mask leaks. It did take a few days to adjust to the Bleep solution, but it was entirely worth the effort. I now never have mask leaks. EVER.

I should also add that I also had mouth leaks which taping completely fixed.

Good luck. I hope you can find something that works for you!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leak Rate Questions in OCAR MrPsyduck 5 237 09-10-2024, 05:25 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Flat-topped flow rate slatejetpack 8 293 09-09-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: slatejetpack
  Leak rate question weepingwillow 32 1,244 09-08-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: weepingwillow
  Erratic flow rate preceding OA weepingwillow 3 194 09-06-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Large Leak/UA Events since titration RainyDog 8 186 09-05-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Two Questions - Flow Rate is UARS Dodies 4 232 09-03-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Dodies
  Measuring HRV (Heart Rate Variability) YouTakeMyBreathAway 3 686 08-28-2024, 09:47 PM
Last Post: BuzzaJim

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.