Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ASV Not Helpful?
ASV Not Helpful?
I have previously used a BiPAP machine but was having a lot of central apneas.  At the time, my doctor/insurance company would not support trying an ASV machine and I stopped using the BiPAP.

I found a new doctor and now have a different insurance company.  A sleep study warranted an ASV titration.  Unfortunately, the test went poorly.  My oxygen saturation dropped with ASV (which had not happened with BiPAP).  Apparently this is rare but occasionally happens?  The suggestion was to proceed with a BiPAP machine with a backup rate.

Has anyone experienced this with ASV?  I was looking forward to moving to the ASV machine. Can a BiPAP with a backup rate help with central apneas?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ASV Not Helpful?
If you can post the titration test results with personal information redacted, we might be able to tell more why the titration failed. ASV is not appropriate for individuals with certain thoracic diseases, COPD, or obesity related hypoventilation, and is used for those with central or complex apnea. The bilevel machines with backup rates range from the simple ST (spontaneous-timed) backup which uses fixed EPAP and IPAP pressure and a timed trigger to IPAP, to more sophisticated volume assured pressure support which target a vent rate in the patient and use adaptive pressure support. So the answer to your question is that it depends. The Philips AVAPS and Resmed ST-A both use intelligent adaptive pressure support to provide ventilation. Using the simpler ST-A will probably be uncomfortable and less effective.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ASV Not Helpful?
Thanks for the feedback.  I wasn't given the actual data but I will try to get it and post.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] ResMed AirFit F30 - Helpful Tips Big Guy 34 7,349 05-03-2020, 07:02 PM
Last Post: freddyfl209
  Avoiding Naps Helpful? ronlecroy 7 1,849 08-25-2018, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Brand New Diagnosis--Sleep Dr & staff NOT helpful PerChancetoDream 61 10,025 05-15-2018, 10:37 AM
Last Post: PerChancetoDream
  Helpful info re Toshiba Flashair Keljian 6 1,824 03-11-2018, 09:19 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  Is it helpful to wear Cpap during day while i'm at my desk mikeinthecountry344 6 2,012 03-20-2017, 03:52 AM
Last Post: holden4th
  Found a website that does helpful CPAP reviews stephennic 5 2,562 09-14-2016, 03:15 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Sleep Hygiene...Helpful Hints zonk 2 3,911 06-25-2012, 09:22 AM
Last Post: zimlich

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.