Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Altitude Adjustment?
Altitude Adjustment?
I'm going on vacation at 5000 ft., I currently live at 900 ft. What kind of adjustment am I going to have to make if any?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Altitude Adjustment?
Your machine will adjust automatically up 7 or 8 thousand I believe.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
You have a DreamStation, correct? I believe it automatically compensates for altitude. To what range of altitudes, I'm not certain, but I've seen over around 8,000 foot above sea level listed.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just looked it up. It's 7,500.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like that will cover the OP's trip.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Even if your CPAP machine adjusts for sleep, your body will still need to acclimate.

I live in a region nearby to ski resort communities and many a tourist unaccustomed to the altitude can have difficulty concerns. Make sure that you are hydrated. In an alpine desert climate, one might think they are not sweating because of dry and cold conditions, but losing body fluids can and does happen. Reducing alcohol consumption can help.

My local DME supplier of whom I happened to visit yesterday had a lineup of a few dozen returned O2 concentrator rentals from tourists that were on holiday ski vacations. Now that the crowds have subsided for the Christians season they are being returned... as much as I know the condition I which I live, I never realized how many tourists- be it planned or otherwise, take the oxygen up here.
Post Reply Post Reply
5,000 feet isn't so bad, but when I spend any significant amount of time 8,000 feet and up, I make sure I keep some Vaseline and Q-tips to apply a gentle amount to my nose to prevent nose bleeds from the dry air and with CPAP use, the nose may get even more dry.
Post Reply Post Reply
None required. machines operate on a differential pressure meaning it will maintain that very tiny differential pressure to ambient pressure wherever you are.

For reference, for those who fly commercial and have used PAP onboard (in all but the newer 787 and maybe Airbus 350), you are at a pressure altitude of approximately 8,000 ft above sea level.

RVLIII
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
Depending on how your body reacts you may get some more centrals than usual. The last time I went to Estes Park my centrals went up each day from a usual 2 to over 70 by the last day of the week. They would probably have gone back down once I had fully adjusted. I had a lot of trouble with altitude that trip which I had never had on previous visits. The joys of getting older.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Settings Adjustment for Higher Elevation mawaw1992 0 85 08-25-2024, 09:05 AM
Last Post: mawaw1992
  Setting adjustment recommendations arichman 1 222 07-30-2024, 06:40 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flex Setting Adjustment and Leak Rate grzkar 1 237 07-13-2024, 10:54 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  [Equipment] ResMed making noise at altitude GManCPAP2019 1 250 06-24-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: ArcherNeedsSleep
Question [CPAP] New to CPAP/APAP looking for Adjustment tips jster71 2 534 02-16-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  [Equipment] A new ResMed AirSense 10 fails to do Smart Stop when at higher altitude. mountaincat 6 937 01-28-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: mountaincat
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 818 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.