Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] LeeMan's Therapy and Questions - Device usage showing gaps
LeeMan's Therapy and Questions - Device usage showing gaps
Hello all
I have just added myself to this forum after reading some threads on CPAP usage on devices are showing massive gaps (in some cases). I am a new user of a Resmed Airsense 11 Device. I hired a device for approx 4 weeks and then bought myself a device and have been using for about 4 weeks.

On my device, I began to notice that the device usage hours:mins seemed inconsistent with the time spent in bed on some days.Not every day. Just randomly.  Since the only data  analysis I could use was myAir which is a very simplified report it was of little value to me in understanding what the problem(s) were.

I then came across Oscar. Ever since inserting my SD card into the device, I now have visibility of the issue. Ran a number of days testing for any obvious issues but again, gaps occurred during the night. Not the same time or duration. In some cases, I have 3 hour gaps. Yes, I do get up at night. I turn the device off, and then back on again when I am back in bed.

I spoke to a resmed office and even went to Resmed support team. Seems that they had not encountered the error before. I have since given my device to Resmed for service and received a temporary loan device.

Well it continues to happen on the loan device.I am at a loss and so it seems is Resmed. I wondered if anybody in this forum had advice om why this was happening and of course how to fix.

My device settings, courtesy of Oscar is below.

Thanks for your help.

Mode APAP
Pressure Min 5.00 cmH2O
Pressure Max18.00 cmH2O
Antibacterial Filter No
Climate Control Auto
EPR Full Time
EPR Level 2 cmH2O
Humidifier Status  On
Humidity Level  3
Mask Pillows
Patient View Off
Ramp Auto
Ramp Pressure4 cmH2O
Response Soft
Smart Start Off
Temperature 26 ºC
Temperature Enable Auto
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Device usage showing gaps
Only 2 reasons I could think of.

1. you take the mask off during the night and put it back on after a length of time.

2. the machine goes from 12 noon one day to 12 noon the next... Is your clock set correctly? In stead of it being 9am is it 9pm...
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Since your Min pressure is low at 5, it's possible that your pulling the mask off to get air.

Show the OSCAR and we can help with settings.

Min 5 and EPR 2 won't work fully by the way. EPR works by reducing Min by the EPR number, but there's a hard physical stop at 4 cmH20. Your min 5 with EPR 2 attempts to reduce to 3.

Here's the minimum pressure with EPR that works unhindered:

Min 5 EPR 1
Min 6 EPR 2
Min 7 EPR 3

You'll want to try adding pressure to 6, possibly more.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Runny Nose
Hello again

I wonder if there is a simple answer to the problem of runny nose on a Airsense 11 Auto.  I am very badly affected and wanted to know what can be done. It's driving me crazy.

Mode APAP
Pressure Min  5.00 cmH2O
Pressure Max 18.00 cmH2O
Antibacterial Filter No
Climate Control Was auto changed to manual
EPR Full Time
EPR Level 2 cmH2O
Humidifier Status On
Humidity Level Was 3 changed to 4
Mask  Pillows
Patient View  Off
Ramp  Auto
Ramp Pressure  4 cmH2O
Response Soft
Smart Start Off
Temperature Was 26 changed to 28ºC
Temperature Enable Auto

Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
We could better help you if you post an Oscar chart or two.  That will give us good data on how you are sleeping.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Runny Nose
Post an Oscar chart for a couple of nights, just in case something shows up. Use the exact specs in the menu. Your runny nose may have a source that isn’t obvious. This is the most important thing you can do right now.

A few more tips:
—make sure your hose is going uphill from the unit at some point. Optimal, is to have the unit below the level of your pillow. This is to prevent rainout, which, yep, makes it feel like it’s raining in your mask.
—make sure you clean your mask every day. Use a mild soap with no scent. Some folks use Dawn, but I’ve not been able to find it recently without scent. I prefer to use baby shampoo. Rinse thoroughly. You can put the soap with a lot of water in a spray bottle and give your stuff a good spritz. Rub. Rinse under a tap. This avoids using a potentially contaminated water basin for washing.
—use only distilled water in the humidifier.

I’m suggesting you be super meticulous in these areas to eliminate the possibility you have allergens or nasties in your unit and/or hoses. Maybe you fudge them a bit later, but at least eliminate potential sources for now.
Post Reply Post Reply
For whatever reason, your brain is telling you to turn off the unit in the middle of the night or your mask is leaking like heck and the unit can’t sense you on the end of the hose. This often happens if the settings aren’t right or the mask is leaky; sometimes these interact, too.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi

Thanks for the tips

1. Oscar daily graphs are too big for attachments. Is there a specific one that would be most helpful to you?
2. Hose does run uphill
3. Have replaced pillow mask with another I had. 
4. Do use distilled water

See how I go tonight.

Thanks again
Post Reply Post Reply
OSCAR should attach to a post, especially with a New Reply then New Attachment are with a Choose File button, below the post text box.

Make sure that within OSCAR daily detail graph you're using the F12 key for Windows PC or Fn and F12 for Mac.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi 

Screen shots attached - if it works of course.

Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI, Low Usage, Low Pressure - How to Improve? mangoblueberry 3 155 08-24-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  LOOKEE-Ring-01 Usage so Far jcpose 4 159 08-17-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: jcpose
  Incorrect usage registering Moonbowusa 2 147 08-17-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Holiday/Vacation Usage Importance & Cleaning...... beetee 12 550 08-12-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: beetee
  ResMed F40 mask questions? WCR1950 11 653 08-07-2024, 09:18 PM
Last Post: LuminousOne
  Oral Mandibular Device causing dry mouth dharma2255 4 229 08-07-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: nh00
  Few Questions APAPNewbie 7 364 08-03-2024, 10:57 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.