Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Ventilatory Burden vs AHI
Ventilatory Burden vs AHI
Sharing

Quote:Huge Breakthrough in Sleep Apnea Scoring
BARRY KRAKOW, MD
SEP 18

As I’ve written about previously on Substack, in research publications, and in my books, scoring methods for understanding sleep apnea severity are crude tools at best, which is exactly the point made by researchers at the Mount Sinai Hospital group in NY. They invented a new automated technique to more precisely measure the burden of sleep apnea.
The current approach called AHI or RDI measures breathing in 30 second intervals, arbitrarily, and declares a breathing event depending on what happens in these 30 seconds.
The new technique is more precise as it analyzes each and every breath to define its unique status. They use a term “ventilatory burden;” in simpler language, they are searching for how much volume of air breathed during each breath. Smaller breaths are abnormal and serve as the principle point of analysis to determine severity.
The remarkable aspect of the work is the absence of measures for sleep or oxygen; and, through their analyses conducted on large databases of several thousand people, totaling 34 million unique breaths, they were able to link the ventilatory burden to cardiovascular risk.
Their overarching goal would provide doctors and patients with a much better measuring stick to assess sleep apnea severity and hopefully in the process convince insurance companies and the rest of the sleep medicine community to abandon the outdated AHI/RDI metric.
I hope you will share this post with friends and family who may be struggling with their sleep. It could be  life-saver.

[color=#404040][size=medium]Thank you for reading Fast Asleep. This post is public so feel free to share it.

Link to referenced study
https://www.mountsinai.org/about/newsroo...erm=678654
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ventilatory Burden vs AHI
Thank you for posting this Gideon.  I read through the article and found a few other statements about it on the internet:

"Automated ventilatory burden, which represents the proportion of overnight breaths with <50 percent normalized amplitude, can measure the severity of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA),"

"The Mount Sinai Sleep and Circadian Analysis Group developed an automated breath-by-breath measure called ventilatory burden that assesses the proportion of small breaths during a routine sleep study."

I am trying to understand this (it seems important to me).  It sounds like "tidal volume" is a huge stat to look at during sleep.  Not so much respiratory rate per say, but the total # of shallow breaths per night - they theorize that this causes the most damage to the body (cardiovascular, etc.).  It would seem to me that with OSA, use EPAP pressure (and possible soft cervical collar for positional apnea) to combat this.  With CSA, use a back up rate to ensure at least enough normal # of breaths.  (The standard treatments for both OSA and CSA).   So according to the measure, a person with a lower respiratory rate, but normal or higher than normal tidal volume would fair better than a person with a higher respiratory rate and lower tidal volume? 
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Volume varies by the "size" of a person, thus the new term of burden which should account for this. in determining "normal" volumes we take gender and height into consideration.

This is also the first time I've seen AI influencing the treatment of sleep apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is an exciting development. Overdue for an update in diagnostics. I think there were some earlier findings that sort of already said this, but worded it as flow limitation being highly associated with disease severity, but the automated algo with aspirations of refining it with machine learning to optimize its ability to screen for PAP-compliant patients is new and pretty cool. I've always wanted a clean answer as to why some patients respond to PAP and others do not, but none of the top healthcare professionals I've had the chance to have consultation with have provided a satisfying answer.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think this screams of a (very) long term shift to IVAPS where volume is maintained.

That said Fixed or CPAP mode will be needed for individuals intolerant of pressure changes.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Glitch on Resmed S10 Autoset : ventilatory support florian1993 4 2,151 06-19-2016, 02:11 PM
Last Post: vsheline

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.