Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help!
Help!
Hello,

I am a 30yo male diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea in 2022. Since acquiring my machine I have not felt like it has helped me much, I never got titrated, the doctor just gave me a range of 4-15 pressure and set every setting to auto. 

Lately I have been feeling really bad, I wake up a lot during the night, 4-10 times and I feel like I am not sleeping well. I wake up with headaches around my forehead and top of my head, my cognitive skills have declined a lot in the past months. I forget things right away, cant pay attention to things, my memory is really bad, and I have major brain fog, any little task feels like a lot as I cant seem to have sense of time, cant make up thoughts, I forget words, low libido, fatigue and the list goes on and on. 

My AHI shows as 1 or less most nights, but I wake up a lot during the night, and according to my smart watch I barely hit 30 minutes of deep sleep on a good night, some nights I get as low as 5 minutes. Like I said my current settings are auto and wanted to know if this was due to sleep apnea as per my graphs and information, or this is something else like insomnia or mental health related, as I cannot seem to know why I keep waking up so much. I noticed I have multiple hypopneas per night, not sure if this can cause awakening and the headaches and my brain fog and bad memory and all the other things I mentioned.

Can you guys advise on settings that could help me get better sleep. Please

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help!
I believe your pressure is too low, which is the root of many of your issues.

Try this:

Mode APAP
Min pressure 8
Max pressure 12
EPR 3 full-time
No ramp

That should help with the pressure swings and hopefully be more comfortable. Give that a try for a few nights and let us know how it goes. It will feel a bit different without the ramp, but just relax and breathe with the machine. Let your mind wander. You will adapt to it quickly.

Regarding your watch, the best smart watch is about 80% accurate for determining sleep stages. Do not get too concerned with the specific numbers. It is fine for directional guidance on sleep quality, just treat it as such.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

OOPS! PLP and I were writing at the same time, so I erased mine. Good luck with your therapy! Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you guys, I will change to these settings and update you on it. I appreciate your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
NewToThis23 - What part or region of your head are your headaches located?  
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mainly around my forehead and top of my head. Feels like odd and its hard to think when I have them, also feel some pressure. Most of them happen shortly after I wake up, or as soon as I wake up. If I take naps too, I get the headaches.

You use the same exact facemask I use by the way, the evora full face. It sits around that area of the head, but I doubt the band is causing the headaches. I think it has to do more with me waking up so often, and waking up during my deep sleep that is causing the headaches. Cause I have many other symptoms like i mentioned on my post. The brain fog, the bad memory, the bad cognitive abilities, etc that come with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
This could be your sinus cavity. Are you using humidity? You might try using more, or even less. Each person responds differently.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I am using my humidity on auto. You might be right, my sinuses are partially blocked due to obesity swell I think. Like my nose always feels congested, even though I am not sick. 

So I have lost my sense of smell and taste big time. So yeah might be the cause of my headaches then. What humidity should I do? Since Ive always used it on auto.
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe go manual 4 or 5 humidity, try it and alter up or down to suit. Why should we allow the doctor to have all the fun with controlling things?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Haha right. Alright I will change it to 5 then, and 4 if needed after couple nights. Thanks! I started researching about sinuses after your response and I might have chronic sinusitis. Because this has definitely lasted more than 12 weeks for me. But yeah I’ll change humidity. Thank you again.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.