Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] anthonydf - Therapy Thread
anthonydf - Therapy Thread
New to APAP and Oscar. Need help understanding data and as too why I kept getting disruptions while asleep resulting in me waking and changing positions. Thats why I think CA events are high due to me holding breath while moving. Should I change pressure settings?

Attached is Data from last night. Fell asleep at 12. (Took machine off at 1:45)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help Understanding Oscar Data
If you are new to Apap your body may not be used to the pressure of the PAP, it might help to temporary
reduce the Inspiratory to 9 or 10 (cmH2O) range. Before you do that, try using the machine, during the day while watching TV. 

What greatly helped me adjust to initial use of the machine was to wear the mask during the day while watching tv, Then over several months gradually increasing PAP pressure to middle teens. Starting in January of last year I have increased my inspiratory from 15 to 18 (cmH2O) by Sept. 2022. Still using the day time use while watching TV to distract me.

This year in April I changed machines to a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto, PS-4, 17 to 21 (cmH2O). I struggled, but returned to daytime TV use to acclimate to the new therapy. In early in August, the sleep clinic change me to PS4, 18 to 22 (cmH2O). Only this last week did I truly become used to the BiPap, I had to use the machine again during the day, while watching TV, to get used to the higher pressure.
   I am sleeping much better for it now. I expect additional pressure adjustments in the next couple of months. but I know I can handle it.

Give it time,
Post Reply Post Reply
It would be better if you were able to post a full night, but the first thing I would try is to put your min. pressure at 9cm and see what happens for a night or two
I am not an expert...just a long time user.

OSCAR - The Guide
Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
Positional Apnea

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, I'll set min pressure to 9 for tonight and post the OSCAR data tomorrow to analyze. When you say reduce the Inspiratory to 9 or 10 do you mean max pressure? Also yes wearing machine while watching tv or when relaxing has been a big help for getting comfortable with it. Hopefully I can keep it on for a full night tonight
Post Reply Post Reply
Anthony,

How new are you to Apap? Days? Weeks?

When I suggested wearing the mask with therapy pressure while watching TV. I ment daily for probably a month. Getting used to wearing a mask and therapy pressure is not something people do in a short period of time. 

I have been using CPAP since early 2014, everytime they adjust my therapy pressure I have to practice getting used to the new pressure, When I change mask/pillows or hybrids same thing, I have to get a couple of weeks practice wearing the new setup under pressure.

When I suggested you may need to reduce therapy pressure, I ment after several weeks, if you are just days into beginning use of APAP therapy. You body will adapt to pressure and the CA may reduce. If CA does not reduce with time, then some of the more knowledgeable members will step in to recommend a pressure change.

I noticed just before each CA you experienced a slight leak increase, suggestive of changing position. Therefore your assumption of CA's being the result of you holding your breath while shifting around in bed, may be correct.

I noticed the cluster of OA's just before the end of the therapy session were preceded by a large leak suggestive of changing position that may have resulted in positional apnea. Chin Tuck.   

Other than the cluster of OA's it appears that your expiratory pressure (your lower pressure) is sufficient to hold your airway open. 

You will need to submit additional screen shots of your nights sleep report. Provide one with the complete night captured. Then when you zoom in around events, try to capture a ~6 minute window with the event centered. Breathing patterns before and after events can add additional  information. Then if a longer window around a cluster of events are needed we will ask for a larger window,

Good luck, May you sleep well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Its been less then a week so far but Its been pretty easy for me to fall asleep thankfully. Ill try and use mask with pressure whenever I can though. Also what is positional apnea with chin tuck and how could I fix that. Ill keep pressure as is min9-max12 and hopefully soon I can go the full night with mask on and provide report when I do. Thankyou!
Post Reply Post Reply
Last Nights Oscar Data. it was a pretty bad night woke up super unrefreshed and was restless all night basically. 
(Woke up at 2, didn't go back to sleep til 3 ish.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
anthony - I see you posted the same post, as above, in another thread. I have deleted that thread. Please keep all your therapy questions in the same thread.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
Project Manager for OSCAR - Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
sorry didn’t mean to post it in this thread. how do i delete this thread so i can make a new one
Post Reply Post Reply
Since this thread already has replies, it will not be deleted. If the post concerns your therapy or data, post it here. I can always change the thread's title to be more inclusive. If you wish to have it changed, please post the new title here.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
Project Manager for OSCAR - Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] NightmaresOfTheBottom - Therapy Help Thread NightmaresOfTheBottom 12 431 Yesterday, 11:30 AM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Abdulfakih - Therapy Thread Abdulfakih 138 6,068 10-19-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: Abdulfakih
  GarlicMassage's Therapy Thread GarlicMassage 18 1,962 10-18-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: GarlicMassage
  HenryECole81 - Therapy Thread HenryECole81 32 1,243 10-17-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: HenryECole81
  HarleyGirl63 - Therapy Thread HarleyGirl63 13 926 10-17-2024, 05:05 PM
Last Post: HarleyGirl63
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 32 3,130 10-16-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: THEVGE
Wink hwnboy therapy thread hwnboy 60 2,891 10-14-2024, 04:49 PM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.