Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What generally are the first pressure settings for a new CPAP user ?
What generally are the first pressure settings for a new CPAP user ?
Hello all - Wondering if there are any general  standard settings / rule of thumb  for a new CPAP user in terms of pressure and ramp time ? I am in the Severe category - and my initial pressure was set at 20 with no ramp time. The result being an intense episode of Aerophagia that made me really ill for several days - and didn't fully clear for a few weeks ( gas and discomfort) and also set me back a few more before I could attempt CPAP again. To add to this, the Dr was unavailable for weeks / no covering doctor. Needless to say - he is now my former Sleep Dr. Would appreciate any thoughts on what are the appropriate levels that should be set for a new patient. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What generally are the first pressure settings for a new CPAP user ?
I think one should down load Oscar and let the data determine your adjustments.
I would start at min. 7. Max 15. EPR 2. No ramp. and then post up a chart for some advice.

Learn how to post the required Oscar charts correctly and you will get dialed in pretty quickly.

Many knowledgeable and helpful people here.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is what my common sense doctor told me when i was struggling with pressure. He told me to lower the pressure to something i could tolerate. Then as you get used to the machine and pressure, gradually start raising the pressure toward his goal. We've all been through this. some jump right in and adjust. others struggle and eventually get there. If you want this to work and put some effort into it you'll be there in no time. if you really don't want this you'll never get there.  good luck.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsup 
Thanks  for the helpful advise - will do. 

However , my question was really to determine what the INITIAL settings should be for a new CPAP user as I had a horrific episode of Aerophagia - that seriously postponed my ability to begin treatment. This situation occurred due to maximum pressure and no ramp setting  - which seems an extreme choice for someone who has never used CPAP before …
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsup 
Thanks  for the helpful advise - will do. 

However , my question was really to determine what the INITIAL settings should be for a new CPAP user as I had a horrific episode of Aerophagia - that seriously postponed my ability to begin treatment. This situation occurred due to maximum pressure and no ramp setting  - which seems an extreme choice for someone who has never used CPAP before …
Post Reply Post Reply
From reading a lot of posts here at ApneaBoard, a good starting pressure could be a static 7 with EPR at 3.  That could be about the most comfortable way to start.  

Alot of people are prescribed the generic 4-20 apap settings.  It works for some and doesn't for others.  And some use EPR and some do not.  

EPR is expiratory pressure relief.  It makes it easier to exhale against pressure.  Because the pressure then increases when a person transitions to inhale, it helps decrease flow limitations also.  

Your choice on initial setting though.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weinmann / Löwenstein Prisma 20A Auto CPAP: APAP settings: standard vs. dynamic Costas P 7 12,742 09-12-2024, 09:22 AM
Last Post: donsburg
  [Pressure] New to ASV and Wanting to Understand Pressure Settings Better kbeards 5 212 09-11-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] New CPAP user looking for optimization advice rococo.orchid 6 282 09-04-2024, 10:40 PM
Last Post: PlayerTwo
  Interpreting OSCAR data (relatively new CPAP user) bolivar98 14 723 09-02-2024, 04:44 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  [CPAP] New CPAP user trying to understand what Im doing crentiist 4 224 09-01-2024, 09:02 PM
Last Post: crentiist
  [CPAP] New CPAP user; O2 levels still low auzzied 10 527 08-29-2024, 07:49 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Video [Pressure] Changing pressure on cpap fudo 3 184 08-25-2024, 01:00 PM
Last Post: fudo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.