Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can someone explain how EPR reduces flow limitation?
RE: Can someone explain how EPR reduces flow limitation?
Thanks G. Good input! I suspect the extent to which positive pressure inhibits expiration varies by individual, as does the effect of pressure support. Your underlined sentence is why I suspect Vcom is inappropriate for many as well.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, Sleeprider for the added thoughts.  

I also wish to clarify a part of the controversy that emerged on this forum during the last few weeks about the correct setting up of EPR. 

One argument emphasized that it is the expiratory pressure that keeps the airways open; hence, once some EPR is added to an already established constant-pressure CPAP therapy, the expiratory pressure should be increased by the same amount as the EPR drops the pressure during expiration. 

The other line of arguments, based on experience, emphasized that adding EPR in the above situation might benefit and reduce flow limitation even without increasing the expiratory pressure.

From the above two comments of this thread, it becomes clear that EPR can benefit even without a simultaneous increase of the exhalation pressure because "... a less efficient exhalation leads to limited inhalation or a particular inhalation flow limitation." 

However, it is always a good practice to adjust the EPR and pressure support in an APAP regime where the instrument can take care of the expiratory pressure  if and only if needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
A simple statement that may help people understand: EPR reduces pressure when you exhale, but by the same token, it increases pressure when you inhale. It's the increased pressure for inhalation that helps reduce flow limitation.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fantastic discussion my knowledge and the mechanisms of epr makes alot more sense. It's def a fascinating paradox and will guide me in my treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dormeo, I really appreciate your simplified explanation. I tend to get mired in the details and simplicity often eludes me. I will add.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2024, 02:34 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Dormeo, I really appreciate your simplified explanation. I tend to get mired in the details and simplicity often eludes me. I will add.

FWIW: Your input is greatly appreciated. Please keep the details coming! While I realize simplicity has benefits, some of us—nerds—greatly appreciate in-depth information!

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I have made some changes to the wiki based on suggestions here. G Szabo, your comment raised an important aspect of bilevel therapy where low EPAP pressure is critical in individuals with COPD and other pulmonary conditions that restrict expiration. Getting into expiratory flow limitation was not the purpose of the article, or this conversation, but it is out there. https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...Limitation
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Everyone appreciates Sleeprider's long-time efforts to maintain and improve the Wiki, which is a wealth of essential information. 

THANK YOU!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hear, hear!
Post Reply Post Reply
I would like to speak to the 'underlined comment' by Sleeprider that is in Szabo's post about exhalation.

I have been using the VCOM for a couple weeks and have had decent success so far.
What i have definitely noticed is that my EXHALATION times have INCREASED dramatically.

And at first i had excellent results in AHI and most importantly rest, sleep and not tired during the day!
However, CA events are returning, i suspect due to the increased exhalation time.
On this forum it has been suggested this is temporary and my body will adjust.
I trust this will be the case.

Also, i will gladly share my results should they be asked for and appropriate for this forum.

Sorry, forgot to mention, while getting advice from this forum , and using EPR 3, i had days of 100+ CA events !
This scared me to some extent, to where i no longer use EPR at all.

However, once i get my sleep and rest back, i would be willing to revisit this use of EPR.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unusual flow estgad 1 19 13 minutes ago
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Changing flow limitations Made 12 243 51 minutes ago
Last Post: Made
  [CPAP] Help Me Understand Flow Limitations! usernameissleepy2396 1 39 1 hour ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Flow Rate/Limitation Question gr3gg0 10 324 10-25-2024, 12:16 AM
Last Post: THEVGE
  flow limitation due to poistion ? obstructedairway101 7 283 10-24-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: ruffybirdy
  EPR 1, hight flow limit, but lots of CA throwaway1242 8 330 10-19-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Switched to full face mask last night. Flow limitation increased obstructedairway101 13 452 10-18-2024, 08:36 PM
Last Post: obstructedairway101

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.