Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

(Canada) Air transat saying a CPAP machine is counted as a carry on
(Canada) Air transat saying a CPAP machine is counted as a carry on
I have an upcoming trip from Canada to the EU with Air Transat. I've been recently diagnosed with sleep apnea and will be carrying my APAP machine. I asked Air Transat on Facebook if they count it as a carry-on. They said yes and linked me to their website.
Then I shared Canadian government's link that says "The limit of two carry-on bags does not apply to medical supplies, equipment and mobility aids." But they're still saying it will be counted as a carry-on. Unfortunately, I can't share links here yet.

I have read many posts on the internet (including Air Transat) that airlines don't usually count these machines and they can be carried in addition to the standard carry-on limit. Does anyone have experience traveling with them?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: (Canada) Air transat saying a CPAP machine is counted as a carry on
So after a lot of back and forth, they confirmed I could bring my CPAP machine in addition to the standard 1 carry-on and 1 personal item included with the fare.

Hopefully, others will find this thread useful if they're traveling with Air Transat.
Post Reply Post Reply
you're lucky because the cpap as free carryon is an american thing only, i know for a fact that European airlines are under no obligation to do any of that.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are incorrect because it also applies in Canada.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey, just wanted to say thank you for posting about what you learned specifically related to Air Transat. I created an account just so I could say thanks. It is really helpful to hear your experience and I can now pass this info along.  

I am travelling with my brother who just called me wondering about whether he could use his CPAP on the plane and although I don't know the answer to that yet, it is good to know it doesn't have to count as his carry on item. 

cheers.
Post Reply Post Reply
No worries, mate. Happy to help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good info, thanks for the homework

I am in the US, but others will benefit from this.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
On this topic, don’t let TSA open the xPAP BAG OR handle your equipment (God forbid) without new gloves.

I also have a tag on my bag that indicates clearly it’s medical equipment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2024, 04:39 AM)Narcil Wrote: you're lucky because the cpap as free carryon is an american thing only, i know for a fact that European airlines are under no obligation to do any of that.

That i really doubt since the cpap nurse in sweden specifically informed me that the cpap device does not count as carry on in EU nor United States.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2024, 02:26 AM)40plus Wrote: That i really doubt since the cpap nurse in sweden specifically informed me that the cpap device does not count as carry on in EU nor United States.

my pneumologist said the same. but here is the actual quote from the Commission from 2023, notice how they answer with BS about lithium ion batteries (click answer at the top) ? it seems they misunderstood how a cpap machine works, how many cpap machines are actually battery powered? But it implies there are no standardized rules.

Ryanair requires pre registration according to many ppl so it's definitely not automatic but i haven't traveled with mine yet.

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo/doc...55_EN.html
Quote:1.Does the Commission plan to develop standardised rules regarding CPAP machines as permitted extra carry-on baggage for airline passengers when travelling within the EU?

1. CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) machines are powered by lithium batteries (including portable electronic devices), and their transport by air is covered by the provisions of Commission Regulation (EU) 965/2012[1] reflecting the ‘Technical Instructions for the Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air’ as promulgated by the International Civil Aviation Organisation in its ‘Doc 9284’ publication.

The applicable rules regarding the transport of these devices may vary depending on their technical specifications related to their power source, i.e., lithium metal or lithium-ion cells or batteries. It is incumbent on airlines to provide all relevant information to passengers, in accordance with Commission Regulation 965/2012 related to the transportation and luggage policies for these devices. In case of doubt or need for further clarification, the passenger should address themselves directly to the airline as to the applicable airline policy.

basically you need to clear it with every airline before departure as far as i know. most are fine with it but there are exceptions.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Purchasing a CPAP Machine from a Facebook Seller: Need Advice chacha897d 1 100 08-01-2024, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  Treatment in Canada SenatorBirch 20 2,254 07-29-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: SenatorBirch
  BeC CPAP Machine - Self Prescribed sleepyboii 4 239 07-10-2024, 06:02 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  What is average hours per year on CPAP machine? sleepingbetterinFl 1 220 07-10-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: Narcil
Gross [Equipment] Help! CPAP Machine Turning Off During the Night GoblinDiplomacy 9 382 06-28-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Pressure] New cpap user and guessing at machine settings Tsunami 14 569 06-26-2024, 10:43 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 294 273,041 06-22-2024, 09:49 PM
Last Post: Cape67

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.