Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Capabilities of ResMed S9 VPAP for treating UARS
Capabilities of ResMed S9 VPAP for treating UARS
Hi there.

I have a UARS diagnosis.  I started with the ResMed S9 AutoSet, which I used for only a short time before seeing a new physician who prescribed the ResMed S9 VPAP.

Physician said that I have severe UARS.  He has since retired and I've yet to find a new physician who is as capable at treating UARS, so I've been trying to tweak my treatment on my own.

My understanding is that ResMed S9 is an ASV device, which is somewhat similar to BiPAP in that it raises and lowers the pressure with each breath, but rather than using one pressure for breathing in and another for breathing out, it gently raises and lowers the pressure with each breath, which some people describe as being almost as if the machine "breathes for you."

In the machine settings, it has minimum and maximum EPAP settings; this is the range of pressures that it blows when I am breathing out, and 90% of the time, it blows something close to the lower end of the range.

It also has minimum and maximum PS settings.  The PS (pressure support) is the difference in pressure between EPAP and IPAP, which would be similar to the "gap" in pressure settings on a BiPAP machine.

However, it seems a bit odd to me that the highest level it lets me set the PS to is 6, which means that given my minimum EPAP of 9, my minimum IPAP is 15, and from my reading on this forum, 6 is a rather small gap between EPAP and IPAP.

I would really like to see what it does for my airflow signal if I can get a bigger gap between EPAP and IPAP.  I'm wondering if I would need a different machine for that.  Would the ResMed S10 or some other brand allow a larger gap, or would I need a BiPAP machine for that?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Capabilities of ResMed S9 VPAP for treating UARS
Thank you for posting that.  One suggestion might be to download OSCAR and upload a few charts.  Someone should be able to tell how bad your UARS really is and how well your current machine is treating it.  I am sorry that I am not too terribly familiar with UARS, but there are experts here on UARS.  

BTW, I have an S9 Adapt ASV.  It only has one EPAP setting, but, if my memory serves me correct, it has a PS min of 4 and PS max of 15.  It is very odd that your machine will only let you have a max PS of 6.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are a few posts where I attached graphs from OSCAR:

https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread...-treatment

https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread...-look-like

I am plenty willing to share other graphs that you may want to see.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for posting those charts.  I assume you have tried the suggestions already made of raising your EPAP min and EPAP max?  The problem may be with your PS.  If you can only raise to 6 Max PS, and you need more PS, then something needs to change (can this machine do the job?)  Can you please check again to make sure your PS max only goes up to 6? What is the exact number range that you can enter for PS Max on your machine?   Also please check your PS min.  What number range can you include here?  Thank you very much.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed ASV’s generally don’t allow the Min PS to be set over 6. The S10 is no different.

That said, as the lower end of a PS range, 6 is quite high for most people. The machine should quickly raise PS as needed from Min PS to Max PS. And if Min PS is 6, Max PS must be at least 11 and optionally higher.

Flow limitation is often seen in ASV charts and may be expected. See the notes here for more info:
https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread...#pid303383
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for posting that McDee.  The OP stated that they couldn't get the PS Max to go over 6.  I think the OP's machine has the capability to increase PS max to greater than 6.  Maybe the OP made a typo and said, "PS max" instead of "PS min".  Would you like to clarify this TryingToGetItRight?
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Post Reply Post Reply
I did make a typo.

The highest value that the machine will let me set the min PS to is 6. The max PS can be set much much higher.

Also, thank you for the link to Sleeprider's remarks! This is the kind of information that I came on here to learn!
Post Reply Post Reply
Sure, happy to help!  And that was a great summary by Sleeprider.

I've responded in more detail to some other points on your therapy data thread here:
https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread...#pid488630
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Self treating: Advice for tuning after first night OSCAR data? citrus1 13 415 09-16-2024, 10:25 PM
Last Post: citrus1
  Two Questions - Flow Rate is UARS Dodies 5 299 09-16-2024, 11:20 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Potential UARS BiPAP Advice gce799 6 588 09-09-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: gce799
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 26 4,580 09-09-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  UARS Treatment [Using Philips ASV] SenatorBirch 30 4,678 09-08-2024, 01:44 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Nose congestion and UARS Jstalez 14 797 09-08-2024, 07:07 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Bilevel self-titration for UARS ChickenTenders 7 414 08-30-2024, 04:15 PM
Last Post: ChickenTenders

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.