Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central Apneas?
Central Apneas?
Hi back in september I was diagnosed with mild obstructive sleep apnea/hyponea disorder. My events in my at home sleep study was 8.1 and they ordered a CPAP machine for me which is the ResMed 11. AHI was intially higher but past couple weeks seems to fluctuate between 1.5-4. I asked my sleep doctor about this and he said not to worry and that apps such as oscar only cause anxiety and not to use them, which I thought was a terrible answer. My EPR is 3 and I would like to leave it there if possible pressure in settings is 6.0 to 16. Ramp is off.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central Apneas?
Welcome to Apnea Board,

Your doctor is wrong and right about viewing your info in OSCAR. The wrong, OSCAR viewing probably doesn't add anxiety for most. There's very little negatives in viewing your data. However, there's the right part from your doctor. You do now see this info, so you have more to think on with therapy. Your CA are a good example. Would you have known you have them without OSCAR charts?

Actions? Since you want EPR 3, min pressure needs to be at least 7, so edit that. For next time, show OSCAR charts with the calendar collapsed. I think the small triangle between October and 2024 does this collapse. We need the info the calendar pushed off screen more than the date. Also be sure to include the Flow Limit chart. On the OSCAR charts, there's separation lines between the chart lines. Click and slide this up or down to resize the sections to fit 5 items at the top. Events, Flow Rate, Pressure, Leaks, Flow Limit, in that order. Further, clicking on the section name and dragging should allow you to rearrange the order of these.

Take it from a guy with sometimes very high CA, yours aren't bad here. The CA could be your movement in bed with a breath hold while adjusting body, pillow, blanket. They can also be actual Centrals. Most breathing people do have a few.

Also note that your CPAP does enhance pulmonary system pressure slightly above without. Your brain needs time to recalculate what's "normal" with CO2 levels for you with CPAP vs not. The low CO2 will induce breath pause as in a CA flag.

Test this. Compare full honestly were the CA you might have had before seeing them in OSCAR a hindrance to rest? Or is the effect just because you can see them, counting how many, etc.? Again this doesn't mean don't use OSCAR, just realize you now see events you probably didn't know were present in your sleep breath patterns.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your CAs are not very concerning. Hence, you can stay on EPR= 3  for now.
However, you must increase your minimum pressure to  8 cm to achieve a smoother pressure ride and reduce AHI.
I would also suggest posting your OSCAR according to the wiki guidelines. Most importantly, you should turn the calendar off and arrange the AHI box and the character sizes in it so that all the instrument settings and statistics are visible on the screenshot.

PS:  I have not seen the above answer; hence, I was repeating similar things.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed with G man. Min 7 or 8 will be fine, I just said 7 to open up EPR 3 to running from the beginning.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Apnea Help winterwaveforms 2 86 Yesterday, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Please interpret my Sleep Study Results for Central/Mixed Apnea at 4% desaturated lvl memoryNada786 6 230 10-13-2024, 12:39 AM
Last Post: memoryNada786
  treatment-emergent central apnea? CyberSparrow 2 223 10-06-2024, 09:02 PM
Last Post: CyberSparrow
  1 Week in - Treatment regimen central apnea? mikaelbb 3 246 10-03-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Increase in Central Apneas Luna G3 PAP Link Data thowle 8 369 10-01-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Zoll Remede System for Central/Cheyne Stokes Fixit50 2 202 09-26-2024, 04:05 PM
Last Post: Fixit50
  TreatmenT emergent central apnea Stracky 9 402 09-25-2024, 10:56 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.