Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Costs for new machine
Question 
Costs for new machine
I need a new machine. My old one has an alert that the motor is no longer working properly. I've had it for at least 8 years.

My doctor sent a presscription into the DME. Its a new company that has a terrible track record for timeliness.

My doctor, bless her soul, said she would send the prescription wherever I wanted. She specified the Resmed device recommended here.

My question: I'm sure the equipment will be covered under insurance. Given the way insurance and DME companies play with coverage, fees, and payments, I was wondering if there's any benefit to having my doctor send it to XYZ.com and buying it out of hand. I remember years ago that my DME company had some kind of percentage coverage + service fee. I felt like I would have been better off buying it rather than going through insurance.

Thanks for any wisdom you can provide.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Costs for new machine
I would get a prescription from your doctor and buy one on line at one of the cpap equipment sellers. They’re easy to search and compare prices, you just need a script to buy one. I have even seen a new Resmed 10 for under $500. I haven’t looked in a while. Also Supplier #28 is a repair vendor and can replace your blower motor , reset hrs. For under $300. That would give you a good back up machine if you so desire.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much, nightynite! I'll check out those resources. I'll probably either get it refurbished or through one of the online stores.

I just made a donation in gratitude for your help.

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I just bought a refurbished AirSense 11 from #10 that seems to be excellent. The hose and water tank are new. This is my backup machine, identical to my main machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
The motor life exceed error comes on at 21-22K hours on the Resmed machine. It will continue to operate normally for a long time. I actually sent my last motor life exceeded machine to Supplier #28 and had it refurbished with a new motor and reset to zero run hours for $220. Anyway, good deals are out there if you need them.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The answer depends on your patience for dealing with a DME and your insurance situation (dedcutibles, co-insurance, approved rate for the machine, etc). Each machine has no single price, but better and worse pricing for cash, out-of-network, and in-network.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 295 276,689 08-29-2024, 12:52 AM
Last Post: Kamryn
  Rant about insurance, sleep study, and costs Stuff 8 1,465 06-20-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 7,356 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,554 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Gross [News] Sleep apnea is massively undertreated and costs billions in health problems JoeyWallaby 16 2,737 01-01-2020, 09:01 PM
Last Post: LeonardoDR
  CPAP costs rant! StevesSp 22 3,832 08-22-2019, 06:34 PM
Last Post: dwd1249
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 7,187 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.