Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help with Oscar Installation
Sad 
Help with Oscar Installation
Hello,
    I am looking for some advice with Oscar installation. I've actually had Oscar running for years with no problem, BUT my 14+ year old computer is not running well. I tried to install Oscar on my new computer and that did work, however, I did not notice that during the initial running of Oscar, the data file location was set to the cloud. I don't want my data files on the cloud and want them locally on my PC. I've uninstalled, re-installed Oscar and even downloaded Oscar 1.51. It still keeps going directly to the web looking for my files even on the new version.

There must be a setting or file somewhere that tells Oscar when the data files should be located, but I've spent 5+ hours today looking to no avail. Does anyone know how to change the pointer for the data file location?

Thanks,
Frank
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with Oscar Installation
What operating system?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry about that... Microsoft Windows v11 Pro.
Post Reply Post Reply
You CAN NOT store the OSCAR_Data directory to the cloud.  The code is not designed for that and does not tolerate any latency in connecting to the data file.  You need to use a local directory for the data.  If you wish to archive it to the cloud, backup this directory to it.
Follow these steps to set up the data locally:
  •  Make sure OSCAR is NOT running.
  •  Copy your remote data directory to a location on your local drive.  
    (For the steps below, I will use "C:\OSCAR_Data" as the example path.)

Option #1:
    1.  Open a command prompt (aka: terminal window).  The command to open a terminal window is, Window Key+R, type in "cmd".
    2.   Type: C:\Program Files\OSCAR\OSCAR.exe --datadir C:\OSCAR_Data Press <ENTER>
      (Note: notice that you use 2 dashes in front of "datadir".)
    3.   Let OSCAR boot up fully, and then exit.  Close the terminal window.
    4.   You can now star OSCAR normally and it will use the new location.
      Option #2
    1.  After the first step, open the registry editor (Windows Key+R, type in "regedit")
    2.  Locate HKey_CURRENT_USER/Software/OSCAR_Team/OSCAR/Settings
    3.   Double-click the entry on the right labeled, "AppData".
    4.   Enter the path to the OSCAR_Data file's location.  In this example, you would enter in, "C:\OSCAR_Data".
    5.  Exit
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Red,
                I wasn't trying to store Oscar data to the cloud, I simply did not notice that was the location that Oscar set during the initial running of the program. I could not find the location to change to get it re-directed BACK to my local HDD. 
                Your instructions to SPOT-ON! I was able to use option 2 and use regedit to set the path back to my PC and where I had the data files copy to that were from my old PC. It is up and running fine now.

Thank You for your help!
Frank
Post Reply Post Reply
The reason the first option didn't work is because of a typo I stupidly typed in.  Oh-jeez   The "data-dir" should actually be "datadir".   I have edited the post above in case someone else reads this and needs the (correct) information.

Thank you for mentioning your experience.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  installation of Encore pro 2 karicheahmed 2 196 09-12-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question Oscar installation problem [solved, see post #4] Bertrand 3 1,014 09-19-2023, 12:11 AM
Last Post: Bertrand
  Failed Installation JohnnySee 11 1,370 07-17-2022, 08:43 PM
Last Post: JohnnySee
  Lost data on installation of OSCAR 1.31 Mac cjtaft01 2 708 06-14-2022, 02:48 PM
Last Post: cjtaft01
  OSCAR installation scoop293 2 762 09-21-2021, 06:52 PM
Last Post: scoop293
  Need help with OSCAR [Installation] MikeyT 6 1,049 03-16-2021, 06:23 PM
Last Post: MikeyT
  Installation of OSCAR in Ubuntu 16.04 ? anderson5420 0 855 03-10-2021, 10:30 AM
Last Post: anderson5420

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.