Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] High AHI After Initial Improvement with CPAP
High AHI After Initial Improvement with CPAP
Hi!

I'm new here and have been using a CPAP for a month now. I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea, with an AHI of almost 90 without the CPAP. My doctor prescribed a pressure range of 10-13 cmH2O.

In the first few weeks of using the machine, my AHI ranged from 2.6 to 11. It wasn’t perfect, but I felt much better.

However, in the last 7 days, my AHI has increased significantly, ranging from about 17 to 21, and one night it even reached 26. I'm not sure what to do. OSCAR shows high obstructive apnea events, and I'm waking up tired again. I've also noticed that I'm snoring a lot.

I would appreciate any help and suggestions you can provide.

Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: High AHI After Initial Improvement with CPAP
You are having positional apnea.  You can see positional apnea where either H or Oa events are clustered together.  Getting rid of as many as you can will lower your AHI.  Positional apnea can NOT be controlled by pressure changes.  You have to find out what position you are getting into and cutting off your own airway.  Have you changed your sleep position?  Sleeping on your back?  Using more (or new) pillows?  These things can cause positional apnea by chin dropping to your sternum and cutting your airway.  Think of it of a kinked hose – nothing can get through – you have to unkink the hose…

IF you can’t make a simple change like changing to a flatter pillow helps then you will need a collar.  I have a link to collars in my signature at the bottom of the page.  It shows people who are not wearing a collar and the SAME person wearing a collar.  There is a huge difference between the two.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: High AHI After Initial Improvement with CPAP
Wow, this is exactly what's happening to me.
I'll try changing pillows and using a collar. Now I feel better knowing that it's not a problem with the machine, after reading the information you sent me.

Thank you very much for your help!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is high pressure better - help to optimize grzkar 1 65 9 hours ago
Last Post: SeePak
  [Equipment] High leakage for high pressure michaeljayb 5 166 09-01-2024, 08:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New User 1 week, still high AHis, thoughts? JacksonMahoney 4 154 08-31-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Is it normal for Resmed 10 blowing noise to be very noticable at high pressure >13 snortle 4 197 08-29-2024, 09:49 PM
  [Treatment] High CAs, Need Some Direction BobbyApnea 9 334 08-29-2024, 09:46 PM
  Help adjusting CPAP--High Pressure Waking Me pharmdfl 3 214 08-25-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  AHI very high after switching from Dreamstation to Aircurve 10 mu50256 15 523 08-25-2024, 08:38 AM
Last Post: mawaw1992

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.