Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

EPR
EPR
I'm thinking that I should know what this means, but I don't. I went into the "Clinical  Settings" on my 10 AutoSet. 

I saw that the EPR was set on 3. It has a range of 1-3.  The "EPR" was also on. And, the type was set on full time. 

Can someone school me a bit?  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: EPR
Hang on until Sleeprider shows up, he puts in a way you can actually understand it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Full-time EPR is always on. Ramp-only EPR is only used during the ramp time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Exhale pressure relief (EPR) on a Resmed CPAP and pressure support (PS) on a Resmed Aircurve work in the same way to provide separate inhale and exhale pressures (IPAP/EPAP). While in the CPAP this pressure support is marketed as a comfort feature, it has a therapeutic application in reducing flow limitation, which in turn reduces respiratory effort, improves volume and helps to prevent hypopnea, snoring and other inspiratory airway resistance issues. I advocate the use of EPR and PS not so much because it makes exhale easier, and it actually makes inhale easier. It's important to realize with CPAP and EPR, the exhale pressure becomes lower than the set pressure, so with EPR full-time at 3 and a pressure of 8.0, the actual pressure is 8.0/5.0 (IPAP/EPAP). EPAP prevents OA, so minimum pressure must be set high enough that obstructive apnea are controlled with the pressure minus the EPR setting. EPR can be set to off, 1, 2, 3 which corresponds to centimeters H2) of pressure reduction. With bilevel PS the difference between inhale and exhale is not limited to 3 cm and PS is additive to EPAP. The criticism of EPR is that it can bring an individual below their therapy pressure, but as long as you understand how it works, that should not be a problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR equals Exhale Pressure Relief, it's the same as BPAP and PS but limited to a max of 3 cmH2O in power.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2024, 11:31 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Exhale pressure relief (EPR) on a Resmed CPAP and pressure support (PS) on a Resmed Aircurve work in the same way to provide separate inhale and exhale pressures (IPAP/EPAP).   While in the CPAP this pressure support is marketed as a comfort feature, it has a therapeutic application in reducing flow limitation, which in turn reduces respiratory effort, improves volume and helps to prevent hypopnea, snoring and other inspiratory airway resistance issues.  I advocate the use of  EPR and PS not so much because it makes exhale easier, and it actually makes inhale easier.  It's important to realize with CPAP and EPR, the exhale pressure becomes lower than the set pressure, so with EPR full-time at 3 and a pressure of 8.0, the actual pressure is 8.0/5.0 (IPAP/EPAP). EPAP prevents OA, so minimum pressure must be set high enough that obstructive apnea are controlled with the pressure minus the EPR setting.  EPR can be set to off, 1, 2, 3 which corresponds to centimeters H2) of pressure reduction.  With bilevel PS the difference between inhale and exhale is not limited to 3 cm and PS is additive to EPAP.  The criticism of EPR is that it can bring an individual below their therapy pressure, but as long as you understand how it works, that should not be a problem.

Thank-you all very much! I'll leave my settings as they are.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.