Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chin cushion for mouth leaks
Chin cushion for mouth leaks
For several months after starting with my Resmed  machine I was having continual problems with jaw drop and mask leakage. Tried mouth guard, chin straps, taping, etc. with not a lot of success. So I invented my own jaw holderupper device.  It consists of:

1.  A 4 inch long piece of 1.5 inch diameter pvc pipe  wrapped in several socks to a diameter of 4 inches and then covered with another sock with the toe cut off, stretched over the roll and tucked in around the  pipe. This forms the chin pillow.

2. Seven feet of parachute cord

3. One 12 x 12 inch wash cloth

4. Mr Pen bag clips

2 and 4  are available from Amazon, pvc pipe from your friendly plumber or home store (probably in 10 foot lengths).

The wash cloth is firmly rolled around the cord to form a pillow. Hold in place with rubber bands. This forms as cushion for the back of the neck so the cord doesn't irritate your skin.

Then  the parachute cord is threaded through the center of the pvc  twice and a "half knot" looped below the cushion for tightening. So the jaw  is supported firmly up from the collarbone and not pulled from the top. Instant success. My MyAir app shows no leakage at all for the last several  weeks.

Adrian

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chin cushion for mouth leaks
Seeing a device that would not pull your jaw backward is good. But a soft neck brace might have the same effect as your device.
Or am I missing something?
Post Reply Post Reply
I would be concerned about strangulation.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not a problem.  I leave it slightly loose so I can get two fingers behind it.  Even if it's pulled as tight as possible it does not impede breathing.  Prove it for yourself.  Roll up a medium sized hand towel (attached photo is 28"x16") and secure with rubber bands.  Place it under your chin and push very hard while breathing. I have no problem breathing while doing this.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I've tried a Walgreen cervical collar and find the velcro attach material, the wide 3 inchs around the neck and the rough materal to be irirtating. The soft part at the front crushes down and lets your jaw drop. My "stiff" device does not crush down and entirely prevents jaw drop. And I find it comfortable and non irritating on the skin.
Post Reply Post Reply
I empathize with your attempts to solve jaw drop.  To get a collar to work I have to tighten it to the point I feel it is choking me.  If I loosen it my jaw drops to the inside of the collar.

It's great that you have found a new way to prevent jaw drop.

I was just thinking yesterday of how to rig a neck pillow to wear backward to maybe solve jaw drop.  I don't think that will work.

I wish you the best with your invention.
I only give suggestions from experience as a fellow CPAP user, not professional advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2024, 11:54 AM)ejbpesca Wrote: new way to prevent jaw drop.
I was just thinking yesterday of how to rig a neck pillow to wear backward to maybe solve jaw drop.  I don't think that will work.

I used to use a toddler size travel neck pillow worn backwards. I asked a friend to sew on each end two pieces of elastic with Velcro similar to any headgear strap, so it could be secured in the back.
Worked fairly well... eventually I was able to keep my head and neck aligned without it.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Very ingenious. You should get that patented and sell it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would be concerned about strangulation with the STRING.

A cervical collar can't inadvertently swivel around and put pressure on the throat. But string around the neck while sleeping seems kinda risky.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just pulled it around so the cord was in front of my throat and pulled very hard.  I'm still here.   Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone Know What a "Silicone Cushion And Seal Kit" Is? Rickyricardo 0 22 1 hour ago
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  is the answer to this data mouth tape? p4ncaketim 1 98 2 hours ago
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Are these leaks okay? bettyryan 1 77 2 hours ago
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Mouth Tape Trick for Wimps (like me) Deborah K. 36 4,429 Today, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Leaks and Flow Rates cyberfiche 4 176 Yesterday, 10:38 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 22 1,603 Yesterday, 10:33 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 14 1,603 09-30-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.