Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments
First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments
[attachment=58981]Hello everyone. I have completed my first week on CPAP, and am looking for suggestions/tweaks to get the most of it. I have attached prior two nights of oscar data. I have had chronic brain fog, fatigue, and cognitive problems for past 5 years, as well as can sleep for prolonged periods of time (such as 11 hours last night). I know one thing that needs to be tackled is my leak rate, and I am unsure if it because of my mask being a poor fit (F30i), or something else (pressure settings?). I am a mouth breather due to fairly severe allergies, so I am thinking of a chin strap. Also, i am a back sleeper - this is something I have tried to change, but I seem to always end up on my back 90% of the night (cervical collar maybe would help chin drop?).

Any tweaks to my settings or other suggestions: Thanks in advance, and appreciate all the help!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments
Try   Pressure Min:   9 cmH2O
       Pressure  Max:  16 cmH2O

EPR  Full Time
Epr:  3 cmH2O

https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...ask_Primer 

Read all of the info down to "How to achieve the perfect mask fit - GUARANTEED! by Jeffy1958" then pause, take a deep breath, put all of the knowledge you have gained to good use as you read Jeffy 1958's take on getting a good mask fit. He really does a good job of explaining how to fit a mask for a good seal. Utilizing his method I have really good leak rate. 

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your advice!! I put it to work, and will post some screenshots of my last 3 nights for any other adjustments. I am still working on mask leaks, but getting there. I began using a chinstrap last few nights as well, as I wanted to see if that made a difference. Overall, I still have many days where I am still tired, but I also have good days here and there. I have not had any let up in brain fog yet, but I am optimistic. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
Looks pretty good ! You still need to work on your mask adjustments, Leaks are one item we have control over. Review the mask primer and remember "Tighter s not necessaryly better" Little tiny adjustments can make a big difference.

Try   Pressure Min:   12.6 cmH2O

EPR  Full Time

The additional support with Pressure minimum at 12.6 cmH2O should help with the few remaining events. CA's may start going away after a few months of acclimation. Hang in there for the long haul. Try using the "Notes" on your Daily page to record how you feel upon waking and any outside influences that may affect your sleep quality. Your AHI is acceptable, now you need to focus on the quality of restorative sleep you are able to get.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Lets take a more conservative approach on your pressure minimum. I would rather see you start with a pressure minimum of 10.6 cmH2O. I was thinking of my own mothers adjustment when I typed the last entry.

Try   Pressure Min:   10.6 cmH2O

EPR  Full Time

When you review the Mask Primer be sure to read all the way down to "How to achieve the perfect mask fit - GUARANTEED! by Jeffy1958" 
That portion puts together all of the information on that page, to get a good seal. Once you get a good fit and leak rates are down it becomes easier to keep the leaks down.

Take several days to adjust to the new settings and then report back, remember, you have already achieved low AHI numbers. Now you need to concentrate on the quality of restorative sleep you are getting.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the advice! I upped my pressure even slightly more to 11.4 which seemed to help my AHI number. also have been figuring out how to reduce masks, as I started using a cervical collar. Any additional changes??

Post Reply Post Reply
bump

i feel like my fatigue has gotten better, less tired during day. Still in this fog throughout the day
Post Reply Post Reply
You could still add to your Pressure Minimum. You should be able to comfortably go to 12.0 cmH2O.

How does the SCC (Soft Cervical Collar) feel now that you have had it on for awhile?

Post some current OSCAR Reports after you make the change to Pressure Min.
Post Reply Post Reply
You're not getting close to your 16cm max, you could set the machine to cpap mode at 14cm with EPR as it is and see how it goes, I sleep much better with cpap than with apap.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was going to suggest what Phaleronic said. I was using auto pap (APAP - adjusts pressure supposedly as you need it) for a few months while working with an apnea dentist but my oxygen wasn't good and I was having a lot of issues and not sleeping well. I got a formal sleep study done and the recommendation was to shift from auto pap to a constant pressure (CPAP) and my prescribed pressure was 12 cm H20. I set my machine to that pressure with a point or two of exhale pressure relief (EPR) and it made a HUGE difference. If you haven't had a formal sleep study done, I recommend it. If you have, you may try setting your machine to CPAP at the prescribed pressure with EPR of a few points if you need it for comfort. I hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR Results 1 week in, can someone tell me what is going on? clawingback14 9 185 07-31-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  [CPAP] New to CPAP - Please help me understand my OSCAR Data hyrola 3 134 07-31-2024, 02:36 AM
Last Post: Sleeptechmaster
  Finally giving OSCAR a shot after 4 months of CPAP with no results SleeepyPuck 17 391 07-30-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  New CPAP/APAP user looking for advice and OSCAR data interpretation sanchez 4 236 07-29-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  New CPAP user first OSCAR data results Jhlopez 1 140 07-25-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  New to CPAP - Please help me understand my OSCAR Data hyrola 3 185 07-24-2024, 05:44 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Diagnosis] CPAP first week OSCAR results JamesMask 2 171 07-20-2024, 09:33 AM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.