Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Do dedicated CPAP pillows actually help?
Do dedicated CPAP pillows actually help?
I'll be doing some back country camping soon and I need a new camping pillow.
Do the shaped dedicated pillows really make a difference or is it mainly marketing?
All good pillows cost around the same and If a shaped pillow would help I'll buy one
I've just bought a couple of 100AH Lithium batteries and a small [ 200Watt] solar blanket to keep them topped up so I'm hoping to get some decent skiing in this coming Southern winter.
Trial run last week with my old pillow and I kept knocking my mask off, a camping mattress and a cot isn't the same as my bed at home
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do dedicated CPAP pillows actually help?
How about going pillow-less and just using a soft cervical collar, like what you’d use on a plane? It would give you a soft feel without concern for your lying position.

You’ll be lying on your back with a backcountry camping mattress? FYI IMO you’ll sleep about 10 degrees F colder on a cot with mattress than on ground with the same mattress, but you might have already experienced this? Mattress on the ground or in back of a vehicle might more duplicate home. Personally, I’d also opt for wider, because I’d prolly use a weird position on a cot. Then you could use your home pillow?

So, a lot of variables here…. And you might have to sleep in a hat? (I’d wear a balaclava to add warmth to my get up).

PS i’ve spent about a thousand nights camping below freezing (I’m not kidding; I’ve even slept at 20 below), but I know squat about CPAP pillows. I would think they’re just as likely to knock the head gear and mask out of place as a regular pillow, and side sleeping would be worse than back sleeping. I’m quite excited about the balaclava concept, now that I think about it: you could put it over the headgear to keep it in position?
Post Reply Post Reply
A lot of cold weather sleeping experience including down to -35C. Although winter here in Australia this white season probably around -8C to -11C.
I have enough gear to sleep comfortably down to that lower figure, maybe even to Antarctic temperatures.
Cot warmer than the ground if you know what you are doing, skirts plus under quilts like in hammock camping, but thanx for the warning.
I sleep on my side to start with but often finish up on my back.
Post Reply Post Reply
You’re not backpacking, correct? If I slept on my side consistently, I’d prolly try a CPAP pillow with cutouts. The biggest problem, if you do, will be a risk of cutting off your airway when you roll on your back.

If answers are slow in this thread, I’d try the search feature and perhaps the equipment category.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just saying...
Don't forget thermal blankets to protect your batteries which have sensitivity to cold temperatures.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I have tried numerous pillows to include the cut out CPAP pillows. These pillows were only good for side sleeping. My pillow is a buckwheat pillow. You fill the pillow to your desired firmness and can shape them to accommodate the mask better than most pillows. Better yet, they come in different sizes that might be good for cot sleeping. 

If you do look into a buckwheat pillow, I recommend reading the information on the Pinetales web sight. That will explain all the good and bad about purchasing buckwheat pillows.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Well it's when I'm on my side that I lose my mask so maybe the cutouts will work for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] F&P Nova Micro nasal pillows mask carnuntum 2 227 08-26-2024, 02:25 AM
Last Post: carnuntum
  P10 Nasal Pillows to F40 Airfit Full Face Mask Settings? stevesleep 3 210 08-23-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Slight Mouth Leaks With Nasal Pillows Airfit P10 - Change Mask? stevesleep 6 406 08-08-2024, 12:59 PM
  How often to change P10 pillows Cranberry Ray 32 8,248 08-07-2024, 03:12 AM
Last Post: ahuman
  Those who tried Airfit P10 nasal pillows, plz help 40plus 14 886 06-03-2024, 12:52 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  AirSense 11 w/pillows IOWIN1979 2 498 05-07-2024, 11:57 AM
  Pillows vs Hybrid surprised at AHI difference Bampf 3 388 05-06-2024, 06:29 AM
Last Post: Bampf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.