Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

HELP: Summertime exposes a big bug in OSCAR
RE: HELP: Summertime exposes a big bug in OSCAR
(03-29-2023, 05:05 AM)pholynyk Wrote: It's not a bug... it's a design flaw inherited from SleepyHead.

A design flaw is also a defect, only at a higher level. So a bug can often be minor impact, a design flaw in most cases has a large impact.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to those who posted issues that seem to be affecting OSCAR.  Your input is needed and appreciated.

That said, for others, please give the OSCAR developers a break.  Some here seem to have no clue how difficult it is for them to run a completely volunteer open-source project and deal with all the problems that were inherited from the original SleepyHead project, and how much it took them to solve each and every one of the issues in a way that satisfies the majority of  users.  They have literally put the equivalent of a full-time job into fixing all of SleepyHead's issues for the past 4+ years, while at the same time taking all sorts of flack from idiots for forking the project after it was abandoned in January 2019.  The OSCAR developers have moved it light-years ahead of where it could have possibly be if it were not forked.

If you want to see what really slow development was like, try looking at the SleepyHead development which was essentially motionless for the last 3 years of it's lifespan, under the "leadership" of that project.   Then you'll know what real frustration was like, since the main development leader threw a child-like temper tantrum and pushed away all the developers who were helping to move things forward.  That's why those developers chose to separate from that project, and fork it into the current OSCAR program - to move development forward after it was mostly stagnant for nearly 3 years, and eventually abandoned.

I suggest a little less critical language and a lot more understanding.  If you know so much about the differences between a "design flaw" and a "bug", and you know how it all affects the code, then you must be a programmer yourself.  So join the OSCAR team and start offering help instead of sniping at those who put in the actual work.  If you're not a programmer, then I propose that you don't know anything about this project at all, but you're only interested in causing mischief.

And please do not send me PMs containing whiny complaints about the speed at which OSCAR is being developed.  Your PMs are simply being ignored unless they have something constructive to add to the mix, in which case they will be forwarded to the OSCAR team for consideration.

Suggestions, bug reports and requests are one thing.  Sniping at the developers (either here or via PMs) is quite another.  The next person to take swipes at pholynyk will have to deal with me personally, and if I see any of that in a post, you risk losing your Apnea Board forum account.  And THAT is a promise.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry @pholynyk it was not my intent to be perceived offensive. I was IT project manager for over 20 years before becoming ill. So I‘m not a developer. But if I can be helpful in another way, send me a PM, e.g. in testing something.

Time is a difficult topic, if it is not based internally on UTC or on import a time zone of the imported data is missing. So I see, this is not something that can be changed with one line of code, but needs to be carefully handled. But I think it is important to handle it as important defect, that should be solved.
Post Reply Post Reply
@volsch  -- Sorry I didn't mean my post to address your post.  Another member sent me a PM containing your post content above and added his own scathing remarks against pholynyk.  I read his PM first, then went back to this thread and saw your post, so I thought it was the same person since the initial wording was the exactly the same.   Now I realize it wasn't you who sent the PM, and he just copied your post in his PM in order to springboard into his own ridiculous complaints and critiques of OSCAR development.

So my apologies to you - my remarks were pointed at him, not you (plus another member who had sent me a PM complaining about OSCAR developers a couple of days ago).

I need to be more careful to make sure I'm addressing the correct person.  Sorry about that.   Apology-2

Can I claim old age??   Confused
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
@SuperSleeper
Oefff. I was also wondering if it was directed at me...  Confused  I understand now, that is wasn't..

I understand the frustration if people are demanding stuff from the developers (being one myself). The main takeaway, I think here, is that this isn't a small issue for users of OSCAR and it shouldn't be dismissed as such (which it kinda was). It's a good thing to explain that it isn't as simple as one might think, but also that the team recognises the problem. I'm now in contact with a developer of the team via Gitlab and might have look myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
As an FYI.. for those who wish to help out with the OSCAR project, we have some private development forums here on Apnea Board where the vast majority of dev work is done.  To join that group, send a PM to member Gideon or send a PM to Jeff8356 and let one of them know your skillset, background and any area of OSCAR development you're interested in.

Thanks
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
As the PM of the OSCAR project let me state, OSCAR has no bugs or defects unless they are inherited from Sleepyhead. BUG or DEFECT means someone did something wrong, no one on the OSCAR team has. There is NO blame here. We have issues, and we work collectively to resolve (or dismiss if appropriate) issues but we do not ignore them. IT matters not where an issue came from only that it is resolved. My background in addition to being a developer with Old School languages and designing major software systems I migrated into Software testing. I was among the first to REQUIRE SW testing and boy did I take a lot of heat for that. I do not use the term bug or defect because it says someone made a mistake, thus the non-inflamatory Issue.

FYI if you put the word OSCAR in the title it will be read by a number of OSCAR developers, not all of them will let you know that they are on the team.

Some of you appear to have skills that could help us.
In addition to fixing issues in the existing OSCAR v1.x, we are also beginning the development of OSCAR 2.0 which is a major rewrite intended to make OSCAR easier to maintain. We have a separate testing forum and development forum that is by invitation only. If you want to join the OSCAR team PM me "Gideon".
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your insights Gideon! I really appreciate it!

I think it’s becoming a semantic discussion. I don’t blame anyone. 
OSCAR is a beautiful program, but it has some big issues regarding its time handling. Someone might call it a bug or a design flaw, or whatever. Everyone’s definition might be different. The point is that, no one is to blame, everyone does one’s best, but the program does something (pretty big in my opinion) wrong. 

Im a very experienced (decades) software developer in C#, C++ etc etc
I will send you a PM shortly (probably tomorrow).
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll get to your PM when I get home.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a similar problem with OSCAR after the time changed to DST. I changed manually the time of the machine (ResMed Aircurve 10 CS Pacewave) to DST time, as it didn't changed automatically, and OSCAR added an extra hour in the graphs. This is definitely a bug in OSCAR as SleepHQ doesn't have this problem.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP and PpO2 data out of sync because of summertime NoRestForWicked 10 2,697 03-28-2018, 01:51 PM
Last Post: NoRestForWicked

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.