Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] redoing my sleep study: weight loss, medication, etc. and insurance?
redoing my sleep study: weight loss, medication, etc. and insurance?
I started using a CPAP device late last year (about a year after my original diagnosis for some weird insurance and logistical reasons). In addition to the official diagnosis, I've always felt fatigued since my late teens.

I have had a few changes in my life since my official diagnosis:

1. I've changed my diet to be more fresh and slightly 'healthier'
2. I've lost about 15 lb (~ 7 kg) and expect to lose another 10 lb (~ 4 kg) over the next few months. (see also: diet)
3. I started stimulant medication for some mental health / stress related concerns
4. My exercise routine and related have changed
5. My caffeine intake changed a lot -- with an eventual goal of only using caffeine in the morning -- and not as much as I currently do (too much!). I'm not there yet though.

That being said: I am still almost always fatigued. I did not get the 'magical' effect of having a good restorative night many others mention. I've had sleep restoration problems for over 20 years though - so who knows if there are other mixed concerns.

I do manage to use the CPAP pretty consistently. When I don't its usually just tiredness/forgetfulness than inability to tolerate.   If you told me I needed to use it nightly for life I'd likely be fine. I tolerate it pretty well.

The doctor that prescribed my medication for #3 strongly suggested I redo my sleep study due to all of the above.

I have a few related questions:

A. If I do this, can a 'home sleep test' be useful?   When I did my original diagnosis it didn't capture any data -- but perhaps it fell off or something.  I kind of prefer the lab since I got more complete data too.
B1. If I do this, is it likely to be covered by insurance? I know different plans are different (and my current insurance: aetna HSA plan is kind of awful)
B2. Is there a particular way or documentation that is helpful to get insurance to cover any part of the test?
B3. Is there specific terminology or documentation I should look at to see if followup
C. Is there any data from my ResMed 11 I can read through OSCAR to get a sense of if this is likely to have changed?
D. Does weight change in particular sometimes "cure" Sleep Apnea? I've seen some really mixed comments online.  

(numbers and letters for ease of reference)

I'll take any other advise/suggestions/comments too.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: redoing my sleep study: weight loss, medication, etc. and insurance?
additional information - I would edit - but I can't right now possibly because of the time since the post:

this is what I found about insurance https://www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/data/1_99/0004.html -- I only somewhat understand it, so still looking for more information.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Understanding sleep study results Moemah123 10 200 44 minutes ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Weight Gain from Therapy? apneavolt 7 237 09-16-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: AshSF
  help with sleep study deciding on a new machine georgesadam 8 156 09-14-2024, 04:56 AM
Last Post: williamwu1107
  LAB sleep study help - feeling hopeless and lost georgesadam 5 182 09-13-2024, 03:19 AM
Last Post: georgesadam
  A new study ischua 9 310 09-08-2024, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  New here - Post Sleep Study Question Tenley 4 965 09-03-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Central sleep apnea - titration study didn't work blossom 1 183 08-30-2024, 11:55 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.