Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

HenryECole81 - Therapy Thread
HenryECole81 - Therapy Thread
I import O2 Ring data into OSCAR. With adjustment of the O2 Ring  time-filename to integrate into OSCAR, this works well. However, it appears that the OSCAR and O2 Ring software analyze blood oxygen events differently - OSCAR does not just take the O2 Ring analytics.  The  results can differ dramatically, with OSCAR having much higher numbers of 3% and 4% "drops" apparently from the different bases from which the drops are measured.  OSCAR allow changes in the % drops parameter and length of time parameter, but these are fixed in teh O2 Ring.  Also OSCAR provides  a "Desaturation" measure while teh O2 Ring uses Drops Below 90%.  However the OSCAR desaturation appears to be based on drops using the OSCAR drops parameter, not the desaturation parameter they state, and it is not responsive  to changes in its desaturation parameter. Frankly, the OSCAR measures do not make much sense when I look at the meaningful O2 drops that I can  count - some % drop events in OSCAR are no where near the percent  necessary to be counted. I can easily count and understand the O2 Ring drops, both total by percent drops and drops below 90%. I would like to use the OSCAR analysis since it integrates with the CPAP/APAP data and analysis ( it is ok and identical between the two for the base data graphics), but need to understand why the analytics for the measures differ . Any Guidance? o

BACKGROUND.  My pulmonologist has determined that, while I have mild/moderate apnea, the CPAP and APAP make my apnea and sleep worse, and they not as effective as my mandibular dental appliance. This appears to be mostly due to much higher AHI and other event measures with CPAP and APAP across varying pressures; and no better O2 measures with the  CPAP/APAP than with just the dental device. However, I separately note that my blood O2 appear to be moderately better with the CPAP than with the dental appliance, and I am doing some further checking and "experimenting". Thus the concern with the O2 Ring vs OSCAR Oxygen measures.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: O2 -OSCAR O2 analysis disconnect
Welcome - I’m sorry but OSCAR does not have 02 measurements. I don’t know what in OSCAR that you are looking at.  O2 can be imported using different devices but that adds another chart that is made from the data supplied by a separate device.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Stacy. Thanks, but but you are only partially correct, and not the part I was questioning. With imported O2 Ring data, OSCAR does present the same data points and graphs, but the OSCAR reported statistics from the imported data differ significantly from the O2 Ring reported statistics for some measures. Obvious ok on averages, peak minimums. But OSCAR modifies the Ring data for some of its reported statistics based on various data parameters. For example the SpO2 %; time interval in seconds for the parameter measures; desaturation threshold. It does not appear that adjustments to these OSCAR parameters permit a match to some of the O2 Ring reported measures. Some OCSAR selected measures may be better than Ring reported measures for diagnostic purposes. The question is what did OSCAR programmer/analysts have in mind when they were offering the various measures. What were these pulmonologist or analyst selected diagnostic preferences? One would think that at least one set of statistics would be an exact match for the Ring measures.

Henry
Post Reply Post Reply
O2 and OSCAR Data export question to help answer whether I should follow pulmonologist recommendation to discontinue CPAP:
Can I export an OSCAR data file that includes O2 Ring imported data or otherwise transfer an expanded O2 OSCAR file so that the pulmonologist can analyze it. If I must export the OSCAR and O2Ring data separately, I suspect that will present a challenge in time and programming skills for the pulmonologist.

This is important to me, as I indicated in my original submission, because the pulmonologist has recommends that I not use a CPAP, despite his finding of apnea, because his test show that I do better ( lower AHI, etc. with a dental appliance that with the CPAP/APAP. I observe the my O2 reading on average are significantly better with the CPAP than with the dental appliance (plus I sleep better). I am trying to assemble the data so the we can go over this and also to determine if the O2 levels over the night are medically significant.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, HenryECole  Wow, I never noticed this before, because I was just looking at how the shape of the curve, however, but there does seem to be a difference.  

On my most recent reading, OSCAR lists SpO2 Drop as 14.05, and the ViHealth app on my iPhone lists it as 11.  Another night I have 12.99 on OSCAR and zero drops on the ViHealth app (the graph did look like a great night, too).  And another had 16.21 drops on OSCAR and 23 drops on the ViHealth app.

For me, differences in the O2 score are mainly related to more or less central apnea during the wake to sleep transitions.

I'm airdropping the binary data from the iPhone app to my MacBook Pro and then importing it into OSCAR.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pulmonologist --Not use CPAP, Use mandibular. How to later cross check?
ISSUE. Previous 8  years with prescribed CPAP before later Pulmonologist's  test showed no apnea and to continue use of dental mandibular device. Four years later and  after AFIB, mild Apnea identified in another Pulmonologist's  Home test. Began with new APAP but terrible AHI and personal sleep. 3 months of results on OSCAR read by Pulmonologist, who did another home test  and yet another with mandibular device. Pulmonologist determined  that CPAP would not help with Apnea, but to continue to use mandibular device.  This works fairly well, but I would like to do occasional home CPAP or APAP test to cross check Rx  and look at changes.  How to do this?  Below paragraph is background history detail  and might be skipped   

HISTORY.  79-year-old. Mostly excellent health, but of course, sleep apnea and a few other challenges. In 2007, I was diagnosed by a pulmonologist through lab sleep test with mild Sleep Apnea (AHI 8). Subsequently used a Phillips Respironics Remstar device with good success – AHI scores 0.5 - 2.5. My regular use of OSCAR adn visits to pulmonologist validated this. Updated the RemStar machine in 2012 and continued to use it until 2014, when I switched to a mandibular dental device recommended  and installed by dentist;  that seemed to work well with less fuss. I liked and mostly enjoyed the Phillips CPAP machine for  sleep, but mask was sometimes a bother with leaks and nose scars.   In late 2015 I was concerned that I was using the right device and had another in-lab sleep test with the pulmonologist conclusion: no significant sleep apnea (less than mild) but to continue dental device for snoring. Late 2021 I was diagnosed with significant but non symptomatic AFIB and received successful cardioversion with no AFIB  return to date. Of course, Eliquis blood thinner for life.  I am a highly competitive Masters swimmer with physician well charted 50 years of regular pulse of 38-40.  Nonetheless, mid 2022 did take another sleep test both for concern of poor sleeping and also as is  generally prescribed for AFIB. Sleep Center home test read by pulmonologist found mild sleep apnea - AHI 8.5.  Got ResMed APAP 11 Note that I now  must sleep on my back due to shoulder difficulties; very comfortable on my back, but sometimes during sleep shift to the side.  Immediately had terrible use problems with mask and also with AHI results over three months, AHI rarely below 15, mostly over 20. Used OSCAR throughout to record and provided results to pulmonologist who is very engaged in Using OSCAR.   Succeeded in fixing the mask problem with full face  foam cushion  but still very poor  results both for sleep-awake and AHI Scores. Higher AHI when apparently on my side rather than back.  Pulmonologist did full sequence of AHI vs CPAP  at various pressure levels over three weeks. Equally bad results.  Then retested by same pulmonologist with an advanced home test. Again, terrible results.  Second time tested using upgraded high level home test while using the mandibular device. Some clusters of Centrals but lots of hypopneas  and apneas. Pulmonologist conclusion. Much of high AHI was awake/awakening with mild anear underneath. CPAP was not a solution but mandibular was relatively successful. This was not the result which I  was hoping for, but have continued with mandibular device.  I also use an O2 Ring for blood oxy, the results of which my  pulmonologist says are very ok and mirror the ok  oxygen levels during sleep tests results.

CONCERN & QUESTION. Per pulmonologist, using the dental mandibular device, which has tested better than CPAP in addressing my sleep and perhaps the Apnea. Nevertheless, I have concerns that I may somehow be able to better address the Apnea with CPAP.  I have recently received an Dreamstation II APAP-CPAP as Philip’s recall replacement, and that machine  complements The ResMed 11 APAP-CPAP that I have from five months ago.
>>>What is the best way I can use either of these machines to occasionally check my sleep Apnea with and without the mandibular device? Both machines can report to OSCAR, and I report into OSCAR  my overnight  O2 Ring oxygen and  heartrate. I have not set up the Dreamstation II yet, but straight forward.  I have an ample supply of the Air Touch F20 headset and cushions. I am a nose breather always during the day and generally during the night with Mandibular device.  But sometime during the night sleep with CPAP or APAP I seemed to shift to mouth including  inside the full-face mask. Note that I sleep on my back due to my left shoulder, but am very comfortable on my back and easily fall back asleep after BPH bathroom break(s).

How to test Apnea? CPAP set at  4 or 7, APAP set at 4 or 7 max 10? ...... I know from experience earlier that APAP set to go higher than 12 results in very high AHI scores and awakening. Also, I often failed to control mask leaks above 14-16.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI with no Events
I have OSCAR results that for a specific period of time -- 45 minutes, that show no events flags yet an AHI of around 17.  How can that be?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI with no Events
How do I send my exported OSCAR data file?
Post Reply Post Reply
Post a screenshot of your Daily screen that shows this.  Use the F12 (or Fn+F12 for a Mac)  to take the screenshot.  If you need help in posting an image, see the links in my signature,
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
How do I send the Oscar Data file instead?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] TinySteve - Therapy Thread TinySteve 14 616 Yesterday, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Expat31
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 3,001 414,286 Yesterday, 12:29 PM
Last Post: btreger
  evanms17 Therapy Thread evanms17 24 1,295 09-24-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: evanms17
  MadFox - Therapy Help Thread MadFox 17 804 09-24-2024, 01:03 AM
Last Post: MadFox
  [Treatment] somniosus - Therapy Thread [new user looking for initial settings advice] somniosus 1 110 09-22-2024, 03:50 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Fantasieimpromptu - Therapy Thread Fantasieimpromptu 12 320 09-21-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Fantasieimpromptu
  Angela's Therapy Thread mawaw1992 1 121 09-18-2024, 10:22 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.