Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey
RE: Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey
I have experienced the same thing, but I would describe the oder as a strong noxious chemical smell. 
My humidifier reservoir had run dry previously with no ill affects.  However, about a month ago I woke up practically gagging !  I recieved the AS10 used from my sister.  She said she'd never had that problem. 
After mulling it over, it came to me that the auto-humidity control was not in use before, but was turned on recently.  When the reservoir drys out, the machine may well be turning on the heater in an attempt to bring up the humidity. As there's no water, it simply heats the plastic resevoir causing off-gassing.  It has happened 2 more times with similar results, before I finally figured out the proper lever to fill. 
Unfortunately, during my last visit to my Pulmo, she was concerned about a rapid decline in my resting O2 sat. (I'd just had a SMW test three mnths. prior).  She scheduled me for a PF & SMW tests.  The only noxious stuff I've been exposed to is whatever that ResMed was blowing.

Really like to know what it is !  Does anyone know what type of plastic the reservoir is made from ?

Thanks,
Chris

PS: This is a great board.  Marvelous resource  brrn lurking on and off for s year or more.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey
For me, if the humidifier runs dry, I wake up smelling something like ammonia. Then I sneeze all day. I always fill the tub as full as it can get every night.

I do not use distilled water, I use tap. I live in rural area with a spring.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder why there's not an automatic shutoff of the heating element when it runs dry.

The design for this seems improved in the Air11 as only the metal in the reservoir is directly heated. In the Air10 it looks like metal and some sort of plastic layer are heated?
Post Reply Post Reply
The Airsense and Aircurve 10 water chamber has been re-designed to have a round heating plate. The metal plate used to be under the entire reservoir, now it is much more confined to the actual heating are of the device humidifier. The new humidifier chamber is imaged below:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=60581]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Caked Residue In CPAP Water Reservoir, Is It Normal? Kamryn 3 174 08-30-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: Rickyricardo
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 90 33,224 08-26-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  [CPAP] RedMed10 Water Chamber question Joe Bezz 26 6,208 08-23-2024, 09:29 AM
Last Post: jtardo
  Rhinitis (runny nose) OlWobbly 1 195 08-12-2024, 05:45 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  34 horrible nights - how many more? RigMover 3 217 07-31-2024, 10:32 AM
Last Post: RigMover
  Anyone here NOT using a water reservoir? Big Guy 38 1,284 07-30-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  mouth tape and nose pillow OR full face mask, pros and cons? SeePak 19 961 07-30-2024, 08:04 AM
Last Post: SeePak

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.