Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Understanding Trigger Sensitivity
Understanding Trigger Sensitivity
On the Resmed vauto curve, there is a "Trigger" setting. I'm trying to understand what adjusting this does exactly and what the benefits are?

For example, why not just always use high or very high settings, surely it can only help?

When is it better to use lower settings like "Low"/"Medium", versus higher ones?

And what effect does this have - like how do you know what is better for you?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Understanding Trigger Sensitivity
Trigger and cycle increase or decrease the sensitivity of switching from EPAP to IPAP (trigger) or IPAP to EPAP (cycle). There are also settings for the minimum and maximum times for IPAP (TiMin/TiMax). 

I do not know about making the machine less sensitive, but many of us use settings for higher trigger sensitivity. By making the machine more responsive, we reduce CA’s as it takes less effort to “trigger” the transition.

If you have done all you can with pressure support/IPAP/EPAP pressures and still have CA’s, going to a more sensitive transition should reduce the CA’s.
Post Reply Post Reply
Using a "Trigger" setting too setting for your needs will start to produce a more saw tooth flow pattern as opposed to a sinusoidal wave.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can also get saw tooth and sine wave signals on my audio synth plug-ins. Maybe I'll get a midi input to a synth to match my sleep breathing and make a cool song.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can the trigger setting also have impact on chipmunk cheeks? I understood those cheeks are partly because of too fast delivery of pressure combined with mouth opening during sleep. If correct, I can image a reduced trigger setting might help (question mark?). I am now on trigger very high to nicely control CA's but with my optimization process for best therapy all of a sudden I get these chipmunk cheeks due to higher PS (bi-level).
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think changes in trigger sensitivity will help with air in the mouth. That may resolve better with using devices or training to maintain the seal between the back of the tongue to the soft palate. Jaw support is the biggest factor, so advancing or retarding the timing of trigger will not likely succeed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New CPAP user, looking for help understanding flow curve waran 3 160 09-23-2024, 12:57 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [CPAP] Got Oscar a few days ago, would love help understanding what i can fix DryWallProspector 5 155 09-22-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  New to OSCAR, need some help understanding my data sleepadventure 13 708 09-21-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  New CPAP user, looking for help understanding OSCAR Ksquared716 3 189 09-19-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Understanding sleep study results Moemah123 11 361 09-18-2024, 06:48 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Treatment] Help with treatment, questions, approach, understanding UsuallyTired 28 1,383 09-07-2024, 08:46 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Understanding Breas HDM Data for Z2 mcman56 3 212 08-21-2024, 09:33 AM
Last Post: mcman56

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.