Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Greetings From India - Is it Sleep Apnea or GERD or Anxiety ?
Greetings From India - Is it Sleep Apnea or GERD or Anxiety ?
Greetings ...I hope you are doing well.

I have a query and hopefully I can get some inputs here.

In the night I wake up gasping for breath and within 30 secs or so go back to sleep and this happens only once in the night and this happens in the first 2 hours of sleeping.

Last night my wife told me that I woke up screaming "I need your support" and then she put me back to sleep but I have no memory of it and I woke up fresh.

This doesnt happen every night and happens sporadically.(maybe once every 3-4 nights)

In the morning I dont wake up with a headache and nor do I feel sleepy all through the day. 

I went to a doctor and he has given me an anti anxiety - anti depressant medication to be taken. I am also taking an antacid 30 minutes before dinner.

I am also taking B12/Vitamin D3/Amino Acid multivitamin.

I am not sure if this is sleep apnea or nocturnal anxiety or GERD or hypnic jerk.

I am a 44 year old male and I am 5'11 and 88 kgs and my BMI is 26.9 so its in overweight category.

Non smoker and non drinker. No blood pressure issues and no diabetes.

Much of my excess weight is on my mid section with a double chin. I am essentially in the skinny fat category.

Please provide your inputs. I am really confused and in a dilemma.

Thanks
East
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Greetings From India - Is it Sleep Apnea or GERD or Anxiety ?
(Yesterday, 04:09 AM)EastWeekender Wrote: I am not sure if this is sleep apnea or nocturnal anxiety or GERD or hypnic jerk.
Thanks
East

The only sure way to know if you suffer with sleep apnea is to schedule an overnight sleep study in a hospital or clinic.
If money is an issue, talk to your doctor and he should be able to set you up with an overnight home study.

Your symptoms do suggest sleep apnea, but we have no way of diagnosing that. Get your sleep study done, then you'll know for sure.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi OpalRose.

Thank you so much for your response, I really appreciate it.

Isn't headache on waking up a prominent symptom of sleep apnea ? I don't have that.

Isn't daytime fatigue and tiredness a prominent symptom of sleep apnea ? I don't that too.

If I do wakeup gasping for breath then I do it only once that also in the first couple of hours of sleeping.

I agree that a sleep study is only definitive way to diagnose however I wonder if this can be GERD or anxiety.

Thanks
East
Post Reply Post Reply
Waking and gasping for air may or may not point to sleep apnea.  Not everyone experiences the same symptoms.
Has your doctor recommended a sleep study?  If not, discuss your symptoms with him/her.  

Your doctor can diagnose Gerd and anxiety and treat you if needed.  Gerd can certainly aggregate untreated apnea or vice versa.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

Thank you for your response again.

I did speak to the doctor, and he has recommended a sleep study which is called 'Sleep Study (PSG) Split Night'.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you should schedule it and this way you'll know one way or the other.

GERD can be dealt with by changing lifestyle habits. Like sleeping on your left side if able. Not eating or drinking a few hours before bed, etc.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Symptoms] Fatigue from sleep apnea Person 6 199 10-13-2024, 05:59 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  HELP: Sudden drastic worsening of Sleep Apnea - Can't sleep at all, CPAP completely u Unkikonki 10 464 10-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Please interpret my Sleep Study Results for Central/Mixed Apnea at 4% desaturated lvl memoryNada786 6 250 10-13-2024, 12:39 AM
Last Post: memoryNada786
  Help Needed: Friend Struggling with CPAP Compliance Due to Anxiety and Mask Removal Sarin 4 211 09-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question Does Covid worsen sleep apnea? Unkikonki 3 309 09-22-2024, 05:15 AM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  Mild sleep apnea, doctor recommended a dental appliance but not sure how to proceed. MysticEcho 5 331 09-20-2024, 08:04 AM
Last Post: nightgagger
Question [CPAP] My Sleep Apnea is Worse than Yours... plz Help!! memoryNada786 8 682 09-13-2024, 11:53 AM
Last Post: memoryNada786

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.