Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I'm Hearing Voices :)
I'm Hearing Voices :)
With the whir, whine and rushing air of my wife's and my CPAP machines (Philips & Resmed) occasionally they seem to sync and resonate with each other and produce what registers to me as voices.

Oddly specific, the voice sounds like the endless droning of a deep voiced female Australian newscaster.  No actual words, just the sound of her voice.

So, I blame the machines, or I'm losing my mind. Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I'm Hearing Voices :)
You could be experiencing a little of both I’m afraid. Also , it’s entirely possible your wife has slipped something into your food or maybe even your favorite beverage. I’m not trying to create any problems with you and your wife, but I would keep one eye open at night until you get this figured out. Good Luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2024, 07:00 PM)mark.apnea Wrote: , the voice sounds like the endless droning of a deep voiced female Australian newscaster.  No actual words, just the sound of her voice.

I believe you have the option to change the language of the instrument. Perhaps you could learn the message.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is not an unknown phenomenon.

It is a function of your brain trying to interpret and make sense of sensory input by associating what you are experiencing with a known signal pattern--in your case, an auditory pattern of frequencies you may have experienced before. It is similar to a psychological phenomenon called pareidolia, which is the tendency to see recognizable shapes or patterns in random images like clouds.

It sometimes occurs in those who are hard of hearing or those suffering from tinnitus, where they believe someone whose voice is recognizable is calling them after hearing a similar sounding frequency but not recognizing the words.

You are not going crazy, nor do you have a psychological or mental health issue. You have an active subconscious imagination.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
big like to srlevine1!

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-27-2024, 02:34 PM)srlevine1 Wrote: This is not an unknown phenomenon.  Pareidolia.
I've always been a pattern finder, this make good sense.
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hearing a squeal every 2nd or 3rd breath gpreston24 8 298 08-11-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  Hearing loss after congested night of CPAP harkonnen30 8 1,596 08-29-2019, 05:45 PM
Last Post: harkonnen30
  [Health] Pressure Difference Effects Hearing? rdv3773 1 1,089 09-17-2018, 04:01 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  [Symptoms] air pressure hearing lost claude 11 2,089 10-15-2017, 09:11 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Hearing loss caused by my C-pap ? Hogman44 14 9,301 05-26-2017, 12:13 PM
Last Post: xnlife

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.