Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Initial impression of basic nasal mask exploring possible alternatives
Initial impression of basic nasal mask exploring possible alternatives
Hello

I am only beginning the process getting used to a CPAC device. I have a back condition which requires that I sleep on my stomach as much as possible. Inevitably I cannot sleep in any position without waking and having to adjust. Most frequently I sleep on my stomach. That is the most problematic when wearing any CPAC mask. I have only tried the basic nasal mask and imagine it only becomes more bulk to deal with if switching to alternative mask styles.

I discovered that sleeping on my back or at least on my side with my face tilted out and away from the pillow is better when wearing a mask. I can only do this sometimes. On days when my back is particularly sore I must sleep on my stomach and it is unbearable even briefly on my back or side. 

However, the air pressure from the CPAC machine flows out my mouth ever since my body realized all I have to do is open my mouth to relieve the unnatural flow of air which the CPAC device produces. As soon as I discovered this my mouth ends up opening and this seems to work counter to benefits of the CPAC device. The point is not to have air going in through your nose only to be immediately vented out your mouth. The air should be getting into your lungs and vented through your nose. Your mouth needs to be bypassed to avoid snoring. 

Is this a common experience shared by most people using a CPAC device and how have you adjusted and accommodated it? I am considering a mask which includes the mouth. Before I try that I am wondering about people who have already been down this path.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Initial impression of basic nasal mask exploring possible alternatives
Welcome

Mouth breathing is very common.  People solve it in various ways.  Some use a full-face mask, others use nasal masks or nasal pillows masks.  Generally speaking, full-face masks leak the most, nasal masks leak less, and nasal pillows masks leak the least.  Many of us prefer nasal pillows masks because they come in contact only with the outside of our nostrils, not higher up on the nose and not on the cheeks.  Also, they get pushed out of position less easily, which might make them good for a mostly stomach sleeper.  Of course, with anything other than a full-face mask, mouth leaking will have to be stopped somehow.  Some folks can do this by sleeping with a soft cervical collar but for lots of us mouth tape is the only answer.  Many here like Cover Roll Stretch tape, and it's pretty inexpensive.  I prefer Theraband Kinesiology tape, as I find it more comfortable, but it does cost more.  Amazon sells both of these.

Good luck with finding a mask solution that works well for you!  Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Initial impression of basic nasal mask exploring possible alternatives
Thank you for that thorough response. I am going to explore the tape option.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Choosing correct mask, Septum questions, Nasal Cycle beetee 5 109 9 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Need quick recommendation for nasal pillow mask NewlyDiagnosed 5 182 06-29-2024, 05:50 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Brick Nasal Irritation Using Resmed P30i Mask rishey 2 201 06-24-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: rishey
Arrow Major issues transitioning from full face to nasal pillow mask SleepTea 8 407 06-23-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  initial aircurve pacewave setup cexer 34 893 06-22-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  test trial of nasal mask - a few questions BlueSky1958 11 667 06-07-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: SleepyDawg
  Seeking basic information Timlondonparis 2 151 06-03-2024, 05:24 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.