Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New member looking for Oscar data help
RE: New member looking for Oscar data help
Hi all, here is my SleepHQ with updated data and I added the night of 10/1: https://sleephq.com/public/teams/share_l...afa709fe65

Hey coutherino, I don't want to speak too soon because I still had some issues with the mouth tape and it was half on when I woke up but I saw your advice about my mask before I went to sleep. I realize that it was on pretty loose and whenever I slept on my side it would tend to leak I thought this was just normal so I avoided sleeping on my side. I tightened up the mask a lot and the data looks a decent amount better from what I can tell but obviously I'd like someone else to look at it too because I am very new to trying to understand charts. 

I've been using this generic tape from CVS: https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-sens...id-1011867. I think I'll order that tape you recommended because initially I thought the issue was me pulling the tape off but I think it might just be falling off from drooling or something else. 

I woke up a little earlier than usual but didn't want to try and go back to sleep without mouth tape properly applied and it was only about an hour or so less sleep than I normally get. I'm not sure if it's a placebo or not but I feel more rested than usual today and even managed to dream which I can't even remember the last time I dreamed. 

I'll work on getting better mouth tape and I'll monitor how I feel with these changes, thanks again for the help. 

Hi Phaleronic, I'll try lowering the EPR rate tonight. In your opinion do you think it's still something I should do given my most recent results from last night from tightening up my mask? Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, wow. Yea, that definitely looks a lot better. Part of it is seemingly still mouth leak if the tape is coming off during the night, but your mask shouldn't be leaking at all, even if you're on your side. Just tighten it as much as you can to guarantee it's snug WITHOUT being uncomfortable. That's the main thing, after all. I'd expect you to feel more rested though, your breathing looks miles better, at least in comparison to the night before.

And yea, I'd definitely recommend ordering cover roll stretch tape. It's really amazing stuff. I drool a ton in my sleep (tmi) and it never comes off as long as you cut a big enough piece to extend beyond the edges of your mouth. All you have to do is purse your lips together inwards to make sure there's a seal and stick it on. There's certainly a method, but once you figure it out it's 0 leaks every night. The only thing that might affect it is if you have a lot of facial hair.

Also, I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with what Phaleronic said. In no world are those true obstructive apneas. They're both "centrals" (I'm using that term very lightly here) caused by 2 position changes. When you shift during the night, you'll often find periods where you hold your breath while doing it. This is natural, and these constantly get mistagged by your machine. Like I said previously, not infallible. In the second "obstructive apnea" you can even see a deep breath literally the breath prior. This... simply is not how obstructive apneas work. Typically they are characterized by a slow decrease in airflow as your airway collapses, until it eventually flatlines, and you arouse, gasping for air. It seems more plausible that you simply took a deep breath as you prepared to move, and then held it as you did so. That's not to say this isn't a period of unstable breathing, it certainly is. But what precedes it? A period of high and variable leak. Which is likely what woke you up in the first place and caused you to toss and turn.

Leak rate doesn't really mean anything either in my opinion. The threshold of 24 L/min is merely ResMed's definition of a large leak, it might as well be a number pulled from thin air. The leak you are experiencing is disturbing your sleep, it is a problem, and I do feel like I have already proven this by comparing different periods of your breathing at different levels of leak. But I'll give more examples from that night specifically anyways. The first image shows basically the only periods of very low, stable leak in that entire night (the 29th). Notice how stable your breathing is? Flat all the way across except for a few tiny spikes. The second image contains 3 of the multiple periods of leak. The quality of your breathing literally plummets as soon as it starts happening. I promise it is disturbing your sleep. 

If you want any more proof, simply compare that night, the night where you were below the "threshold" for large leak—but had a constant baseline of highly variable leak with lots of spikes—and this night, where the leak was much better. Or even the night of the 30th where your leak was technically still below the threshold, at least for the 95%. 

Look at the difference in your breathing. It is quite noticeable. You'll find that comparison in the image below. The top image is last night and the bottom image is the night from the other two images. Don't get me wrong, it's still not perfect, and there are multiple periods of wonky breathing. But overall it is better, especially at the beginning of the night where there is almost no leak. What you're looking for is for it to be almost completely flat across the top and bottom of the waveform, with just a few spikes here and there as you change positions.

As for EPR though, you can do whatever you want with it. It's not a bad idea to try lowering it and see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again for the extremely detailed post I appreciate it. I'll make sure the mask is tight enough tonight and I ordered the tape you recommended so I'll be able to try that tomorrow when it comes in. I don't want to make any drastic changes so I can see what changing small things does so I'll probably only drop the EPR by one tonight just to experiment, otherwise I'll leave everything else the same and hope my not-so-good mouthtape holds up for one more night.
Post Reply Post Reply
As I said earlier, I didn't make any changes last night besides dropping the EPR to 2. For some reason the machine settings didn't save on the SD card not sure why. Here is the SleepHQ link with last night's data: https://sleephq.com/public/teams/share_l..._id=YLVAmj

For some reason the leak was not great last night, not sure why because it felt like the mouth tape was pretty secure and I had it on when I woke up but I guess there could have been a gap or it moved a bit and I didn't notice when I took it off in the morning. Should be fixed tonight when I get my new tape. 

I think that tonight I will try to consciously sleep only on my back because if I don't focus on this, I end up rolling around throughout the night which I'm assuming is another thing that might mess with the data.

I also see a lot of new Hypopneas in the data when leak is low and I'm not sure why that is, the only thing I changed was EPR. Maybe I am getting used to this new setting or should my CPAP pressure be changed? Thanks everyone for any advice
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed writes that day's configuration on its first use for that day. If you change your settings after that, it will not be reported until the next day, providing you don't change them again. It is possible to use the CPAP, change its settings and continue using it, then set them back to the original settings within the same 24-hour day, and it would never be reported.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Please help understanding OSCAR data; AHI 5.5 and still drowsy -_- twomashi 3 145 1 hour ago
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  [Treatment] Advice with OSCAR Data sploomb 2 138 1 hour ago
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Help analyzing OSCAR data - CA's? alemon 45 2,206 Yesterday, 11:59 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Surprised Help Interpreting Oscar data HN2207 12 288 Yesterday, 01:27 PM
Last Post: HN2207
  [CPAP] OSCAR Data richardb123 7 418 10-01-2024, 03:50 PM
Last Post: richardb123
  New member 59Bugeye 37 1,033 10-01-2024, 02:59 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New to Oscar, please help me understand the data. Stray 12 564 09-29-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.