Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth
Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth
Hi everyone from a new user,

I've been using CPAP for a couple of months now due to chronic fatigue. I'm sure it's working but not to the positive extremes I hear some users reporting. 2 things I am noticing are, my acid reflux has returned (I have had this under control for 4 years prior to CPAP) and I sometimes wake with my mouth being filled with air. It almost feels like an inflatable being filled up, eventually the pressure builds upon and inevitably my mouth has to open to allow the air out. 

I'm using a Resmed Airsense 11 with the pressure set  5-10. I'm using P30i Nasal pillows most nights, occasionally I switch to a N30i Cushion if the pillows are causing discomfort but the fit is not as good. When i look at my readings on the machine in the morning there doesn't seem to be anything alarming. Most levels are very low.

Any advice on why the above is happening would be greatly appreciated, I've attached my sleep test results and can post my Oscar readings once I have my SD card reader which is on order.

Thank you in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth
I'm sure someone will be along to address settings, etc., but have you thought of the age-old GERD hack of raising the head of your bed 6-8 inches? I had a doc finally persuade me to do this, and it helped! Turns out, I didn't have GERD, but I've left my bed like that, because evidently it was preferential (maybe for post nasal drip or something).
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for that Halfasleep, the acid isn't much of an issue at nightime it's mainly in the daytime when i'm eating food. It just seems weird its only come back since i've started CPAP (I've read this can happen).
Post Reply Post Reply
Not what you want to hear, but when I had the problem with air getting into my mouth and forcing its way out, my DME guy suggested using a FFM to equalize the pressure inside and outside of my mouth. It does help. It didn't entirely eliminate them for me, though. I have to use both a FFM and a soft cervical collar, which keeps my jaw from dropping down/back. I wish I could just use the pillows/cradle, but I just couldn't resolve the issue any other way.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth Taping Dave77 3 65 8 hours ago
Last Post: Dave77
  What was your experience fighting mouth leaks? PersonInNY 32 1,252 Yesterday, 11:19 AM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  AHI of 1, but still sleepy, napping, dry mouth yngwiej 21 1,128 Yesterday, 05:28 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  is the answer to this data mouth tape? p4ncaketim 3 164 10-03-2024, 09:06 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Mouth Tape Trick for Wimps (like me) Deborah K. 36 4,496 10-03-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 14 1,623 09-30-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Started noticing dry mouth in the morning BionicSpud 13 331 09-29-2024, 09:17 AM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.