Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] New user, help please :)
New user, help please :)
I'm using Resmed P10 Nasal pillow. I keep ripping off the mask without me knowing, from the machine I only use it for around 45 min -1.5 hr per night. This is going on for an entire week. I have mouth tape.
For the first week, I used pressure from 7-12.  On the sleep summary, there are days I have 0 AHI, But there are days when I have like 8 AHI/hr with just 25 min of usage. It seems that the are all central apneas. The pressure was too much.

Once I changed my setting from 7 -12 to a fixed pressure of 6.6. My high central apneas went from 8-12 to just There are days where I can actually get above 5 hrs of usage.
I will post the data of 2 days. One where I have 6 hr of usage, the other is 1.5 hr of usage (I keep ripping the mask off)
All my apneas are central. EPR is 1 on ramp, 0 off ramp.

Help would be appreciated

Data from good and bad days are posted below Smile            
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New user, help please :)
Hello throwaway, sorry you’re having such a hard time, don’t get discouraged! You will get there.
It’s not unusual for the beginner to have problems starting out. You can’t blame your body for trying to get that contraption off your face so you can breathe. What you need to do is try using it for short periods of time during the evening, let the body get use to it. Take a 1/2 hr. nap , read a book or something. Just get some time in wearing it and adjusting.

If you have the results from a sleep study, post up a redacted pic of those, that will help people giving you suggestions on settings. Also, keep everything in this one thread so we can look back on your progress.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let me suggest the following settings. 

EPR FULL TIME
EPR 3
Max 9
Min 7

I know you think that is high pressure BUT with EPR on full time set to 3 makes the exhale pressure the LOWEST pressure the machine can go. 7 is the inhale pressure almost the same you have now and it will NOT raise pressure IF you don’t have any events at this pressure. 

Please give it a try, you will do much better on this setting.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2024, 08:33 PM)staceyburke Wrote: Let me suggest the following settings. 

EPR FULL TIME
EPR 3
Max 9
Min 7

I know you think that is high pressure BUT with EPR on full time set to 3 makes the exhale pressure the LOWEST pressure the machine can go. 7 is the inhale pressure almost the same you have now and it will NOT raise pressure IF you don’t have any events at this pressure. 

Hello Stacey, thanks for the help!
I have used your suggested pressure + EPR full time 3, but I'm still having problem keeping the mask for more than 1.5 - 2 hrs. Can you see what I can do from the graphs below?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I read that some folks put tape from their mask onto their skin.  Then when they start to pull it off the tape wakes them enough to help them keep the mask on.  It might help and I can't see that it could hurt anything.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Debora K, That is an interesting concept that I have not heard before, but after 16 + years of *PAP therapy I am open to many new ideas. I have been guilty of removing my mask in the night without conscious awareness.

Tape may resolve that issue.     Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2024, 08:33 PM)staceyburke Wrote: Let me suggest the following settings. 

EPR FULL TIME
EPR 3
Max 9
Min 7

Hi Stacey, I'm still having trouble adjusting to the settings you recommended. I learned from another member that increasing EPR and pressure can lower my 95% flow limit, but I'm still having problems with this setting. My old setting was EPR 1 to off (ramp time), constant pressure of 6.8. The data below is with the setting you suggested.
Can you look into my data for the last few days and give some suggestions?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
When I look for problems with people waking up or taking off their mask I usually see one of 2 things.  first to low of min pressure.   7 to 9 is the lowest most adults need to get enough air through the mask.  When it is lower than that they fell like they are air starved.  Your min is 7.  You could try to move it up to 8 or 9 and see if that helps you.  The second is Flow Limits causing an increase in pressure - you have got that well under control.  So the min increase is all I can see that might help.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2024, 05:22 PM)staceyburke Wrote: When I look for problems with people waking up or taking off their mask I usually see one of 2 things.  first to low of min pressure.   7 to 9 is the lowest most adults need to get enough air through the mask.  When it is lower than that they fell like they are air starved.  Your min is 7.  You could try to move it up to 8 or 9 and see if that helps you.  The second is Flow Limits causing an increase in pressure - you have got that well under control.  So the min increase is all I can see that might help.

Hi Stacey, thanks for the suggestion!
There are 2 problems I see. In the graph, each time the pressure increases from 7 - 8 -9, my central apneas increase exponetially from 0 to 6-7. I can try to sleep with the default pressure from 8, but I'm worried it would create more problem than it helps.

Second. There was another board member who advised me 95% flow limit should be below 0.03, but my 95% flow limit is around 0.05, with 99.5% being in 1 to 1.5 range. I increased the pressure from fixed 6.8 to 7-9 range, and increased EPR to 3, but no luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did your sleep study show a lot of CAs?  If not, your CAs are probably treatment-emergent and will lessen on their own as time passes.  In that case, don't worry about the CAs anymore.  Smile

Also, are you feeling better about your sleep? Are you more comfortable? These are important issues when one has sleep apnea.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,260 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User DerekN 25 10,712 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: sleepyhead2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.