Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Large SpO2 drop when starting sleep....issue or not?
Large SpO2 drop when starting sleep....issue or not?
On paper I have a good therapy but still lack energy, so looking into details. I noticed my SpO2 (Contec 50 series finger oximeter) is pretty OK (95 +/- 1 % basal over several weeks) and dips below 90 % happen but they do not happen often and if they happen they are typically short spikes (<< 1 minute) except when sleeping in hence my question.

Just wondering if "this" (see attached OSCAR screen shot) indicates an issue, to be honest I do not "feel" as if this is a huge issue but still.....

You can see it happening. While still awake I have flow limitations and dumb Resmed starts increasing EPAP (VAuto bi-level). I typically look at tidal volume, to see where my sleep starts. This is where the cursor is, when TV becomes stable I start sleeping. At that moment you see that the flow rate becomes much less (shallow breathing and/or airway narrowing), my heart rate goes up, and my SpO2 crashes. It recovers and stays pretty OK for the rest of the night.

Wondering what this might say, like is my EPAP (7,0 - 7,6) or PS (5,4) too low or too high maybe? And is it an issue?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Large SpO2 drop when starting sleep....issue or not?
I often had similar when dozing off, was like my brain was so relaxed it would forget to breathe. I have set my min to 10.6 which was the average I saw when using autoset, and i dont have the problem anymore. My O2 levels through the night are 97+%,
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Large SpO2 drop when starting sleep....issue or not?
Hi Dodies,

I just did a nap and exactly like you say, as if my brain forgets to breath. I noticed that clearly.

I assume you mean you increased your EPAP?

I hardly have flow limitations during sleep so my Resmed does not really respond to anything. I can set my EPAP at 6, 8 or 10 but I will have pretty much a flat liner through the night.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] (OSCAR) Starting out, CPAP as Diagnostic tool? Aph002 0 56 Yesterday, 07:41 PM
Last Post: Aph002
  Air Pressure Issue Vako 53 1,481 Yesterday, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Vako
Question CPAP + O2 Concentrator Issue? mogulman 15 631 10-17-2024, 10:35 AM
Last Post: mogulman
  HELP: Sudden drastic worsening of Sleep Apnea - Can't sleep at all, CPAP completely u Unkikonki 10 576 10-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: Dormeo
  [Pressure] Pressure seems to drop after about 1 minute Fred992 0 175 10-10-2024, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Fred992
  02ring (Wellue) issue Blubarb 5 217 10-05-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Blubarb
  Does anyone know if the Dream Wear's large mask is bigger than the F30i's medium? erouting 0 151 10-04-2024, 06:28 PM
Last Post: erouting

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.