Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Looking for help with issues with Resmed masks
Looking for help with issues with Resmed masks
Hello all,
             In brief I geared up nine days ago to try to get accustomed to wearing a CPAP device. Intially diagnosed with a mild case 12 years ago and have tried ResMed Air Sense 10 and a Phillips unit with no success. Over those twelve years I have maybe tried it for 4-5 months total for a few weeks at a time and then gave up. I am now commited to getting this to work for me. I'm 64 year old male and 225 pounds. 

I wore the Resmed nasal pillows (which I had tried before) for the first seven nights with generally no succes. I would have it on for about two hours, get frustrated, take it off an immediately fall asleep. I did feel like there was one night that I may have fallen breifly asleep with it on and then I guess pulled it off in my sleep? Seems to fall of easily with such tiny straps. 

The last three nights I have tried the Resmed full face mask (which I have not tried until now) and I think I have it tightened to max and unless I am on my back (and I am a side sleeper) I get leaks out of the right side. So again, after two hours I just take it off so I can get some sleep.

I do have a nose only triangle shaped mask which I have tried in the past to use with no luck. Have not tried this one again with this go around. 

If anyone could chime in with suggestions of what I might to to get some success that would be great. My plan has been to try each of these styles of masks to see if I can get any of them to work. I have not downloaded any Oscar data as I'm not sure it's worth doint so since I'm not sleeping anyway? Thanks so much!!

Regards,
             wvdthree
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Looking for help with issues with Resmed masks
What I recommend is picking the best of the masks, and staying with it for maybe 4 hours minimum. Then post the Oscars to get more help. It's hard to give help without data. And your pressures may be more of a problem than your masks.

Before you get to that..... what pressures are you currently using? That info is on the machine. If the min is super low (e.g. 4), it could, indeed, cause you to throw off a mask. (Same with too high, but IMO advisers would need to see an Oscar to evaluate that one).
Also, please fill out details on your Avatar, including EXACT machine (they all sound the same), so a quick glance tells posters what you're working with.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Half Asleep,
                          Thanks for your response and my follow up.

1) I can not find how to change the data in my profile regarding machine type, mask type, pressure etc.. I don't want to add an avatar but would like to add, as you suggest, the specifics about mask, machine etc.. Any help appreciated.

2) I wouldn't have thought that Oscar would have collected any valuable data as to date I have not actually slept with my mask on. Are you saying it is still collecting pertinent information when I am not asleep? 

3) ResMed Airsense 10 is set to Auto. Pressure is 5 when I try to go to sleep. 

Thanks so much for any clarification you can provide.

wvdthree
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2024, 01:21 PM)wvdthree Wrote: Hello Half Asleep,
                          Thanks for your response and my follow up.

1) I can not find how to change the data in my profile regarding machine type, mask type, pressure etc.. I don't want to add an avatar but would like to add, as you suggest, the specifics about mask, machine etc.. Any help appreciated.

2) I wouldn't have thought that Oscar would have collected any valuable data as to date I have not actually slept with my mask on. Are you saying it is still collecting pertinent information when I am not asleep? 

3) ResMed Airsense 10 is set to Auto. Pressure is 5 when I try to go to sleep. 

Thanks so much for any clarification you can provide.

wvdthree

Go up to the top of the home page and click on USER CP.

Then go to the left side of the page and down to EDIT PROFILE.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately you're falling into the trap of pulling the mask off after a relatively short period of time, meaning less than your whole nights sleep session. You've trained yourself to take the mask off, and you'll now need to train yourself to keep it on.

You need to first get your machine setup with some successful pressures. What are all the settings now?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
To get somewhat comfortable with a mask ,you can use the machine and mask a few hours everyday while watching TV with no intention of sleeping.
It might break the habit of ripping it off.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lowenstein issues m162 7 365 11 hours ago
Last Post: Zombie on my Lawn
  [Treatment] Issues with auto bipap and aero haha Xboxrrod 17 545 09-29-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Ear issues chzuck 0 94 09-27-2024, 02:32 PM
Last Post: chzuck
  Full Face Mask Issues vs Nasal Pillows Issues FozzyDaBear 8 370 09-17-2024, 03:58 PM
Last Post: FozzyDaBear
  F40 Mask Issues Jimnyc2000 2 267 09-15-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: car54
  Need Advice -- Having A Lot of Issues npolite 3 250 09-13-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: npolite
  [Treatment] Persistent Hypopnea and Unclassified Apnea Issues with BiPap Settings behtaaash 7 400 09-09-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.