Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nuts ?
RE: Nuts ?
(07-16-2024, 01:37 AM)Jan Flikweert Wrote: ...   Sleeping pills are not recommended for sleep apnea patients. This because relaxation of the muscles they cause.

The same reason magnesium just before bedtime is not advised.  ...

See the following papers: 

Published: 31 December 2022

Therapeutic effects of magnesium and vitamin B6 in alleviating the symptoms of restless legs syndrome: a randomized controlled clinical trial
Conclusion
Taking magnesium and vitamin B6 supplements can reduce the severity of symptoms of RLS/WED patients and improve their sleep quality.

----------------
024 Aug 1:358:105-112.
 doi: 10.1016/j.jad.2024.05.002. Epub 2024 May 3.

Association between magnesium deficiency score and sleep quality in adults: A population-based cross-sectional study

Background: The association between magnesium status and sleep quality is unclear. The aim of this study was to determine the relationship between renal reabsorption-related magnesium depletion score (MDS) and sleep quality.
Conclusions: Our study found a significant association between MDS and sleep quality, particularly sleep apnea, but adequate magnesium intake may be beneficial in mitigating this association. MDS may be associated with excessive sleep in older adults, but not with insufficient sleep or insomnia.
---------------
My comment: These clear-cut results unambiguously conclude that increasing magnesium intake through additives or nuts is beneficial. What is more, clinical results show that OSA depletes magnesium. Hence, it is advisable to take it.   
Post Reply Post Reply
I take magnesium at night because one medication I am on lowers blood magnesium which was lab confirmed.

I take the biglycinate form which unlike other magnesium compounds, doesn't have their laxative properties. Like milk of magnesia does.

I can't say sleep is different one way or the other but I doubt the magnesium is affecting it materially. I also would not recommend people to take it if a lab test shows normal magnesium levels. Or any supplement.

One 200 mg capsule of biglycinate has 28mg of magnesium which was enough to correct my low magnesium levels, which you could obtain from half an ounce (14g) of roasted nuts.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all,

Thanks for your replys. It is really good to read different opinions. Everyone has his own background.

Any way nuts seems to be very healthy. Not roasted, no salt, it should be healthy.

I think it dos not harm.

Difficult is the role of members with the status "ädvisor". For an advice you should visit your doctor. In US many people can not afford this, in my case, in my country I got the diagnose SleepApnea wtihout being see by a doctor. Welcome in the scientific world of medics!

I seek discussion, opinion and lable my posts with "Ï think".

Kind regards,

Jan Flikweert
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Detection Driving Me Nuts!! Reznik 65 13,194 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: ChristianH
  Terrible Velcro On Philips Nuance Gel Pillow Mask Driving Me Nuts hyphicti 0 755 10-23-2021, 10:26 AM
Last Post: hyphicti
  mouth leak driving me nuts Palmtrees 7 2,154 06-04-2020, 07:56 AM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  The Nuts and Bolts of Scoring Apneas and Hypopneas Mark Douglas 4 2,975 07-11-2015, 04:43 PM
Last Post: storywizard
Gross [CPAP] I am going nuts.... abcohende 6 3,697 10-05-2013, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Sevensox
  Nocturia is driving me nuts Route67 10 6,294 05-28-2013, 09:58 PM
Last Post: mjo2244
Angry CPAP is driving me nuts! USKiwi 10 7,361 02-10-2013, 07:34 AM
Last Post: vsheline

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.