Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Magnesium Glycinate
Magnesium Glycinate
In researching leg cramps, I came across magnesium glycinate. According to my research, it is also good for sleep too. My question Is there any truth to this or is it just more internet mis-information? Anyone try this with any success? 
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Magnesium Glycinate
Actually Magnesium Glycinate helps with many health issues, just a few being:
muscular cramps, stress, sleep, constipation, etc.

My doctor recommended I take it for leg cramping and inflammation caused from venious insufficiency, which in turn does help me sleep more soundly.

Talk to your doctor about dosages and do your research on different brands.

Be wary though, Glycinate is often used for constipation and if taking too high a dose can cause the reverse...
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can also consider magnesium citrate instead. And if your doctor believes you need glycine, you can also take L-glycine straight. Both magnesium citrate and  L-glycine can be ordered in bulk powder form (with dosing soops) for a fraction of the price of  Magnesium Glycinate, primarily available in capsules. I dissolve L-glycine and magnesium citrate in water and take them before bedtime. 
Be aware that some manufacturers just mix magnesium oxide (or some other low-cost magnesium alternatives) with L-glycine and sell it as magnesium glycinate, which is a scam. Hence, you should read the small print carefully. 

From the internet: 
"Glycine is one of the many amino acids that benefits your body. Glycine is important because it:
  • Stimulates production of the "feel good" hormone serotonin
  • Serves as the key component of collagen, a protein that gives structure to bones, skin, muscles, and connective tissues, as well as other key proteins
  • Plays a role in nerve signal transmission and clearing toxins from the body
Glycine may also benefit the following, though evidence is limited and more research is needed:
  • Mood and memory
  • Sleep
  • Stroke recovery
  • Heart disease
  • Certain psychiatric disorders, such as schizophrenia"

Post Reply Post Reply
1. Be sure to read the ingredients on the bottle….. some, you may as well be eating laxative chalk. Remember when you were a kid and mom made you take Milk of Magnesia?

1.5 when you check the ingredients, check the fillers and additives. Some bottles have a lot more than others.

2. Check if the bottle has tablets or capsules, so you can judge whether you can swallow. You can also buy powder, and maybe gummies.

3. Don’t buy cheap cheap. I look for US manufactured. If you have a good coop near you, they may have done the work of quality selection for you; get brand ideas from their shelf. I try to buy from them, since they’ve done me a service.

4. Don’t take the full dose on the first day. Ramp up!

Before starting my magnesium (I knew in advance, per doctor, that taking it would be fine), I looked at 2 videos on magnesium by Talking with Docs on YT. They go over reasons and the different types, and they’re fun guys.
Post Reply Post Reply
Magnesium Glycinate works best for sleep and staying asleep, as well as Restless Legs Syndrome, and Periodic Limb Movements in Sleep, from what I have experienced. Also, Magnesium Threonate can go directly across the blood-brain barrier, and is said to improve short-term memory and other brain functions.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.