Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Dry mouth..
Dry mouth..
I'm using the auto humidity but am still getting some dry mouth.  Not severe but noticeable at night and morning.  I use full face mask and breath mostly thru my mouth.  I tried manual humidity and bumped it up one and got rainout which was unpleasant.  My dental hygenist said to try Biotene before going to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry mouth..
I never found Biotene very useful.  My husband and I both use and really like Xylimelts.  These are small, flavored discs that you stick to your gum and the top of a tooth.  They slowly dissolve as you sleep and cause your mouth to produce saliva.  Here's a link where you can read about them if you are interested:

https://www.amazon.com/XyliMelts-Moistur...108&sr=1-1
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
This may not be the answer you want to hear, but if you cannot breathe through your nose, then it's advisable to resolve that, which perhaps may require surgery. The difference between nasal and oral breathing is night-and-day.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the suggestions.

Xylimelts looks like exactly what i need.  Thank you Deborah!

Yes, I've considered surgery before and the outcome was far from guaranteed, but may be time to revisit.
Post Reply Post Reply
Even though you're using a full face mask, you may want to try taping your mouth shut for a night or two and see if that is comfortable.  The default of recommending a full face mask for anyone who breathes through their mouth is very questionable in my opinion.  I started with a full face mask because I was a "mouth breather."  The dry mouth was horrible - until I tried tape.  The first approach should be fix the nose - and it may not take much fixing.  A nasal mask can overcome many stuffy nose issues without further therapy/surgery.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you able to breathe through your nose?

If the answer is yes, you might still get a dry mouth, so a perfect nose might not be your answer.

The face slacks while sleeping and the jaw sometimes drops open. Mine does that. And I just had nose surgery. It’s healed, but still dry mouth.

There are several strategies for attending to it. IMO the least invasive is to adjust your pillow.If you sleep on your back, you want the flattest pillow you can tolerate. No wedge pillow. See how that works. You don’t want gravity to make your jaw drop.

I now also use a loose cervical collar. It helps, too. It props my jaw up. Most of the time.

Some people tape their mouth…I actually can’t see doing that with a FFM. You might as well use a nasal mask if you’re taping. IMO.

I use Biotene gel if I wake up in the night with a dry mouth.

Note: some folks are unable to use nasal masks. Period. Don’t fret if that’s your best option. Often, it is.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth Shut but Still have dry mouth/throat jmr8749 10 1,998 09-01-2024, 11:11 AM
Last Post: nomosnow
  DRY MOUTH WAKING ME MCS2014 14 2,195 08-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: MCS2014
  Stop mouth leaks with a boil and bite mouthguard? ttrani01 5 332 08-10-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Identifying mouth breathing in data? Is it an issue? (PLUS an experiment) DiddyWolf 4 320 08-08-2024, 11:43 PM
  Slight Mouth Leaks With Nasal Pillows Airfit P10 - Change Mask? stevesleep 6 406 08-08-2024, 12:59 PM
  Whats wrong with mouth breathing? johnathanb76 10 904 08-08-2024, 06:00 AM
Last Post: SeePak
Wink Switched from Full Face Mask (mouth breather) to Nasal Pillow EntRESTo 1 313 08-07-2024, 10:21 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.